Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like DelToro is going to direct :yesway: This would be pretty tough to pull off in a film. Why he wants Cruise in this is beyond me :noplease:

AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS James McAvoy Tom Cruise Guillermo del Toro

In July, we reported the exciting news that Guillermo del Toro would finally be making his long-in-development passion project At the Mountains of Madness with James ******* producing and in 3D. Sources have now told us that Universal wants James McAvoy to play the lead in the film, but del Toro wants Tom Cruise to star. Chris Pine's name was also being tossed around, but his busy schedule may be too packed.

We know that Cruise and del Toro probably met before when discussing the possibility of a new take on Van Helsing with Cruise to star and del Toro producing. That didn't work out, but del Toro must have left with a positive impression of the actor. Hit the jump for a synopsis of At the Mountains of Madness and for a refresher on what both Cruise and McAvoy have on their plates.
Cruise as Van Helsing R O F L

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
At the Mountains of Madness is an absolutely amazing novella by one of my favorite horror authors and I think Del Toro is a great director, but Tom Cruise? Definitely the last guy I would imagine with Lovecraft.

I guess I'll just wait for the trailers. So far, every single Lovecraft-based movie ever made has majorly fucked up and I have never seen one based off a Lovecraft story that got the atmosphere right. :noplease:

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At the Mountains of Madness is an absolutely amazing novella by one of my favorite horror authors and I think Del Toro is a great director, but Tom Cruise? Definitely the last guy I would imagine with Lovecraft.

I guess I'll just wait for the trailers. So far, every single Lovecraft-based movie ever made has majorly fucked up and I have never seen one based off a Lovecraft story that got the atmosphere right. :noplease:
:agreed:

I mean Reanimator is awesome but it is awesome because it is so bad. The rest of the Lovecraft movies I have seen have been dismal...

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I enjoyed Reanimator and From Beyond, even though they were both horrible movies, neither of which got anywhere near the correct atmosphere. I thought Dagon was mildly entertaining as well. But there hasn't be a single movie yet to get the atmosphere right or to even grasp what interested Lovecraft. There have been a few movies "influenced" by Lovecraft who did it much better.

It annoyed me so much that in my screenwriting class in college, I wrote a screenplay called "Among Us" that was basically entirely built around the idea that no one had ever gotten the Lovecraft atmosphere right, even though it's not difficult to do if you actually read Lovecraft. The teacher said I should be a professional screenwriter after he read it. It wasn't based off of any specific Lovecraft story, but was written in a style that would get across Lovecraft's themes, atmosphere, and sense of horror.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.