Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the Fractal forum, but I thought I'd throw this out to you guys too.

I'm powering one Atomic Reactor cab with a Carvin DCM1000 (bridged to 700W RMS @ 8 ohms) and I'm wondering - how can I determine when I've reached the sustainable maximum volume with my rig? My drummer was asking for more and I gave him more at rehearsal last week, but since I'm running a compressed high-gain guitar sound, I don't know if I can rely on my usual method of listening to audio systems for compression and distortion to sneak in. Of course with a typical guitar setup, driving the speakers to compression is fine, but I want this full-range system to run as linearly as possible.

I generally run the Axe output at 50-70%, don't clip the output stages, and have the limiter engaged on the Carvin just in case.

Any advice? I'm quite likely to connect a second Reactor for more WHOMP capability in the future (1000W into 4 ohms), but for now I want to make sure I don't fry anything if I step on my solo boost. :eek:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Maybe instead of pushing your system harder, why not get a powered wedge and stick it right next to the drummer?

Take a second line out of your rig and run it to the wedge (or have everyone do that and run it to a small mixer next to the drummer) that way, he can have his own "monitor" mix that he can adjust as needed. It seems a little overboard to boost stage volume overall just because the guy behind the kit can't hear you. (And i sure hope he's wearing hearing protection!)

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe instead of pushing your system harder, why not get a powered wedge and stick it right next to the drummer?

Take a second line out of your rig and run it to the wedge (or have everyone do that and run it to a small mixer next to the drummer) that way, he can have his own "monitor" mix that he can adjust as needed. It seems a little overboard to boost stage volume overall just because the guy behind the kit can't hear you. (And i sure hope he's wearing hearing protection!)
To be clear, we're in a well-equipped rehearsal studio, and tomorrow I'm going to ask the owner to plug me in direct and get me pumping out to the drummer and other side of the room through the half dozen monitors we have.

I think I had screwed up my patch too, because I started with a basic 5150 patch and everybody was like "holy shit turn down!" and then last week everyone was like "fuck I can't hear you!" I was just paranoid to crank further. Such is my nature. :(

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Listen for speaker farting and raggedness?

I can tell when a bass cab is farting out from clean bass, but its harder with guitar speakers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.