Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the thing. Had some time so I decided to try my hand at putting the guitar skin on the 7620 I just bought. Apologies for this not being the most comprehensive picstory on how to do this, but:

1. I've not tried this or anything like it before, so I'm certainly not an expert
2. It takes a certain amount of care, and I'm a bit of a mono-tasker, so it was hard to remember to stop and grab shots.

That said, hopefully this will give an idea of what's involved.

To start off with, I have a 7620 body knocking about so I used that to draw out my template and cut it down to rough size. I then stripped the guitar down and polished it so the sticker would 'take'. At first I was a little lazy and left the bridge studs and neck attached still. As I got further into it, I removed those to make things easier.

Next up was to cut some small holes to push the p-ups through.

With this done, I set about peeling back the sticker-backing so I could attach the bit behind the trem. I figured this would give me a good starting point. I only peeled back enough to take me up to the trem route, then I folded the backing so it wouldn't get in the way.

I began very gingerly, using a jay cloth to smooth it down as I went. It wasn't trouble-free, but the sticker material is such that you can peel it off gently again to deal with any creases/bubbles that occur (and many did). That said, you can always work bubbles out with a little buffing from the cloth.

Now this is where my mono-tasking kicked in and I didn't get anymore shots. But as we're not talking about anything particuarly technical, hopefully that's forgivable. :ugh:

I just slowly made my way up the guitar body, folding back (and snipping away where handy) the sticker backing. Once it was covered, I went in with an exacto-knife and cut out the trem and p-up cavities quite roughly.

Here's the (almost) finished result. I need to buy a new blade so I can get in and achieve a smooth cut around all the edges, so it still looks a little rough. But it'll give you an idea of how it ends up.

My girlfriend helped me on this, and I found that pretty bloody useful at points. I guess you can do it on your own, but an extra pair of hands definitely made some parts a lot quicker and easier. Unfortunately, she's not available to help anyone else. She's cooking my dinner! :winning:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
:yesway: When I did my UJ kit, it was about an hour to install, and 3 hours with an x-acto knife. :lol:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm very happy you are satisfied with the result and you didn't find too difficult to put the skin on.

Putting a skin may be not super easy, but the other choice is repainting a guitar, and compared to that, putting the skin is a joke, is cheaper, and you can always change idea and take it off.

:)

p.s. - there is another option, leaving the guitar as it is...
but that's for lazy guys :p

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These are the cavity edges without any cutting. I've gone in quite close to the edge with the blunt blade I was using. It's certainly something you could live with, but I will tidy this up. Otherwise I simply won't be able to sleep!

This shot should give you an idea of how you have to get in quite close to see the edges inside the cavities. A little bit of distance and it's difficult to see the rough edges:

And here's a couple of shots of the uncut outside edges. Clearly I need to get in with a knife on these bits:

Frank, many thanks for this, man. Was very cool of you to toss one over to me. I'm certainly pleased with the result. Once it's all tidied up and I have the zebra p-ups installed, I think it's going to look pretty darn sweet.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Vandenberg played a Fernandes in that video. :)

Interesting texture on the vinyl... that must be heavy-duty outdoor type stuff.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't I know that graphic? Wasn't that on a Peavey Vandenberg in the Whitesnake "Still of the Night" video?
Yeah, as Darren said, it's from his Fernandes days, which were apparently short-lived and before he started playing Peavey. I love the graphic, looks really cool. I wouldn't mind owning one, but they're quite hard to come by.

·
Registered
146 Posts
hey guys, for those that wanted more details about the skins and about how to put them on the guitar, I've done this video.

just for the ones that may be interested, there is also a competition
for a free T Shirt and a few skins, you only have to play a riff or a solo
or everything you want ( original ) and put it on youtube and on Guitarskins facebook page.

cheers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts