Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's out there other than a THD hot plate?

Everything these days seems to have a zillion other bells and whistles packed on to it, like Dis and cabs sims and whatnot. Is THD still the standard for plain old attenuators?

I see that Two Notes has the Captor, and since everyone else loves their stuff I figured I might give that one a shot. The only downside is that it requires power, which the THD doesn't. Bugera also has one that (surprisingly) seems to get great reviews everywhere and is only ~$100, but I can't bring myself to plug anything I care about into something that says Bugera on it...

What else should I be looking into?

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
The current gold standards are the Fryette Power Station ($699) and that Boss Waza Tube thing ($1300), then the Rivera in a close-ish third ($550).

Those three seem to get the best ratings for getting the real character of the amp at a lower volume. Most other attenuators (THD included) effect the sound in one way or another, it's a matter of how much they do to compensate. I've always like the amount of options they give you on the Weber stuff at any price point, so the fact they're reasonably cheap is nice.

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
I have limited experience with attenuators, but I did a dick load of research and got this:

It's stupidly expensive and has a bunch of features I'll never use, but it's fucking awesome and means I can burn through the valves in my 150watt sunn head by playing it wide open at ungodly hours at night (about 10pm for me :metal: ).

Best thing I've bought in ages. :yesway:

You'd think I was getting paid by Roland by how much I bang on about this thing. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The current gold standards are the Fryette Power Station ($699) and that Boss Waza Tube thing ($1300), then the Rivera in a close-ish third ($550).

Those three seem to get the best ratings for getting the real character of the amp at a lower volume. Most other attenuators (THD included) effect the sound in one way or another, it's a matter of how much they do to compensate. I've always like the amount of options they give you on the Weber stuff at any price point, so the fact they're reasonably cheap is nice.
I'm not super concerned about the tone loss, it's mostly that I want to be able to use my amp at night once in a while.

My problem with all the other shit listed is that they all have a zillion extra things thrown in. "Attenuates! DI! Cab emulator! Automatically pirates djent plugins for you!". I don't want any of that shit, I just basically want an 8 Ohm THD that isn't a big ugly anodized lump on top of my amp. :lol:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I like the Captor the most as far as the smaller units go. If you want something non-powered that doesn't say Bugera on it, the Jet City Jettenuator is a little more tolerable.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
In terms of build quality, the Rivera is obviously tops. Rivera makes the nicest amps in the business.

They all do pretty much the same thing though.

It's a big price range, you have like "Just buying loads yourself" on the low end and "getting the BOSS Waza craft unit" on the high end.

There are two types, resistive and reactive, the reactive ones are going to be the higher priced ones.

As far as the resistive loads go, they all do the exact same thing, you can just buy the loads yourself for a fraction of the price. Most people don't though, for long term use, because resistive loads output a lot of heat, so they are hazardous in that way.

The nicer resistive ones are going to have better heat dissipation and form factor and shit and maybe some additional features, but functionally, they do the exact same thing as just buying the resistors yourself.

As far as reactive loads go...........opinions range there. Some people think they are just resistive loads with additional snake oil, some swear by them. Depends on the unit.

I say just get the cheapest one that is reasonably safe. If you don't want one in an ugly box that sits on top of an amp though, you have to either build one yourself or get one of the less common, more expensive units not in that form factor.

The actual resistors, which is the core of the attenuator, are pretty much going to be the same thing on every unit. :lol: Amp repair shops just buy those in bulk if they need to load amps on the work bench. I have a few of them I've used once or twice. You are right in that the premiums you pay aren't for better attentuation, they are for additional features.

The #1 concern for buying an attenuator IMO is actually safety. You can just get the loads yourself for a fraction of the price, but since they do generate heat, most people, myself included, find it wiser to go for a reputable pre made unit. That's also why the "ugly box on top of your amp" form factor is more prevalent. As well as the "why is this ugly box sitting on bizarrely large feet" thing most have so they can get airflow under the unit. It's way cheaper to dissipate heat that way. The rack mount form factor ones need all kinds of extra shit.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I'd try that if I could find a place that sells them. There are only two on Reverb (both in another country) and none on eBay.
Those are made in China. THD is probably the cheapest you want to go that is built someplace with standards.

The lower priced units like that are mostly lower priced because the areas they cut corners on are safety. :lol:

The THD stuff is all made in the US.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Suhr has one as well. For what you want get the two notes and be done with it.

There is the universal audio ox amp as well but for that money I'd just get a two notes studio.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
I like the Captor the most as far as the smaller units go. If you want something non-powered that doesn't say Bugera on it, the Jet City Jettenuator is a little more tolerable.
The Captor is a killer device for recording, but the attenuator on it significantly cuts mids in ways you may not like.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
That attitude is so 2008. :lol:

Seriously. Behringer is now a respectable brand. When the modular synth and euro rack shit got big they fucking cleaned up.

If you had told anyone in 2008 that people would hate Behringer for offering high quality products at a substantially cheaper price than the competition you would have been laughed off. But lo and behold.....

I don't know if general awareness has made it to the guitar world yet, but in the synth world it's a 50/50 thing, half of the people love them for offering great products at a reasonable price, and half of the people fucking hate them for offering high quality "clones" of other modules.

Behringer Plans 40 Eurorack Modules In The Next 2 Years, Priced at $49-99 - Synthtopia

https://www.engadget.com/2020/01/16/behringer-system-100-modular-synth-clone-namm/

It's hilarious because the detractors can't even attack them for having low sound quality. Modular synthesis is all about manipulating sine waves.

You can't be like, "This more expensive unit generates a more premium sine wave than the Behringer".

It's only a matter of time before they try to break into the "Serious guitar gear" world again. Everyone mocked them for the Bugera stuff and were like "Lol, look at this shit company trying to act all serious". And when modular synths got big Behringer fucked literally everyone directly in the face.

So now, at least as far as synths go, all the people that were like, "LOL, look at these fools floundering" are now more like, "I'm groveling here Behringer, please stop dominating the market with reasonable quality products at low prices".

The general consensus is their engineering team is top notch these days, as well as fucking relentless with development schedules. A lot of people bitch because, "They are clones of other designs", but really, most of the boutique world for pedals/amps/studio gear is clones of other designs. Every "respectable" company under the sun has Neve clones, and you can't throw a rock without hitting a Klon Centaur clone.

Their new line of mixers is also pretty highly regarded, it's only a matter of time until they try again in the stringed instrument realm.

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
Time to corner the market on Bugera Trirec Infinium 100W 3-Channel Valve Amp Heads before the market blows up!

Buy! Buy! Buy!

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Just throwing this out there, if you want to play an amp but want to play it late at night, the Mark V25/35 and the JP2C sound incredible at low volumes. No attenuator needed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts