Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my iPod on shuffle most of this week going back and forth to work, and I've noticed something. I have over 1,000 songs on there, and it seems like every other song I'm skipping because the first 45 seconds or more are some nonsensical bit of useless crap meant to somehow build tension or set the mood.

Stop doing that. When I play your band's song, I want to hear the song. Not a 30 second piano intro, or 45 seconds of wind noise. Seriously. Knock it off. :squint:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Exception: you are a classic thrash band.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sanitarium starts like 2 seconds into the song, that's not what I'm talking about. :lol: I mean when the next song comes up, and it takes so long for actual music to happen, that you think that either the iPod has stopped, or your radio volume is down. But no, surprise, it's some band trying to be atmospheric instead of just getting to the damn song.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Chris is talking about the beginning of every power metal album ever made. Case in point, Symphony X. Damn it I want to hear double-bass drums and screeching guitars, not your 2 minutes of faux classical orchestral score. Skip to track 2!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you must build tension, or set the mood, here, this is the right way to do it. And if you're going to carry it out even this long, your song had better kick as much ass as this one.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chris is talking about the beginning of every power metal album ever made. Case in point, Symphony X. Damn it I want to hear double-bass drums and screeching guitars, not your 2 minutes of faux classical orchestral score. Skip to track 2!
:wub:

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Ya, Darkane did this on their last 2 albums too. I really don't care for it. However, the classical style intro on their first album is the most evil thing ever. :yesway:

·
18,790 Posts
The one that always kills me is "I" by Meshuggah. The song overall is pretty killer, and has some cool parts, but the intro puts me to sleep every time, I just don't have the patience to wait through it, and then sit through the other 18 minutes :lol:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
The one that always kills me is "I" by Meshuggah. The song overall is pretty killer, and has some cool parts, but the intro puts me to sleep every time, I just don't have the patience to wait through it, and then sit through the other 18 minutes :lol:
you mean you dont like 2.5 minutes of the same riff and drum pattern?

·

745 Posts
The same goes for

I think the song itself would be much more listenable without the first minute of pure blabbering - which I have to fast forward every time... Guess Chriss is right on this one - and it's true for many songs unfortunately :( - like Enemies of Reality, Noumenon, Who Decides etc. by Nevermore...

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
:lol: Nope, that was where they started going downhill for me. "Chaosphere" was their last really solid album, IMHO, though I love certain songs from "Nothing" and "Obzen" (haven't heard Catch-33), they've gone pretty hit-or-miss as far as my own tastes go.
Dood Nothing is awesome! Catch-33 has a lot of sick parts too, but a lot of really strange segues as well. They kind of went with a less-is-more approach on those two albums, yet those two trip me out the most.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.