Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Note: I will edit this with pics, and I'm cross-posting on ss.org after just in case there's someone there who can help too.

So, I have this beautiful Hamer USA Studio Custom that I bought. Absolutely fantastic guitar, tone to the bone, quality instrument, looks gorgeous. The only issue? Well, that neck, it's just... missing something. My friend's LTD MH-1000 with the Thin-U profile feels better, and balances a little more to my tastes.

So after a month of fooling around with strap height, and just trying to love the guitar more, it's not working out. The guitar is on the FS/FT chopping block on a canadian forum, as well as being privately listed.

I was perusing a "local" used gear site, and found this:
"Jackson USA Custom Shop Carve Top limited 28/30 Up for sale is a mint limited edition 2002 Jackson USA custom shop carve top with hand written 28/30 on the back of the headstock, made in Ontario, California. Features are: 1-piece Honduras mahogany body; ¾ inch thick bookmatched flame maple top; bolt-on bird-eye maple neck with 22 frets; Brazilian rosewood fingerboard with "piranha tooth" mother of pearl inlays; 25.5 inch scale; string-thru-body construction; 2 Seymour Duncan custom humbucker pickups; one volume control, one tone control and a 3-way pickup selector. It comes with its original G&G hardshell case and all the tags including life-time warranty. $2100" found here TheOM - Equipment

Based on these pictures, do you think it's a custom shop instrument? It looks like it could be, that's for sure. I'm not sure if it's a dinky or a soloist model, and totally forgot to ask the seller. There is a picture of the plate, but it doesn't show enough detail :(.

I asked for the serial number, a better shot of the plate, and a picture of the proof of CS - just waiting for a reply now. I'm hoping someone can help me out by way of the pictures though :)

I'm hoping for a trade + a wee bit o' cash on my end, if I like the neck on the thing lol. Hopefully I'll at least get to try it out!

Thanks guys!

·
Read Only
3 Posts
It's a limited run. In the early 2000s several shops made their own limited runs, and that looks like it could be one of them.

It's a dinky, soloists are neck through.

If the plate has 4 digits it's a custom shop, if it has 6 it's not.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot, Matt!

If it's got 6, is it still worth what he's asking? Hopefully the pics with the tags will help out :)

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Honestly, I have no idea what it would be worth.

And it is possible that these limited runs got the six digit plate, since they're not 100% "custom". They were made in the custom shop, but the CS was giving discounts for these small runs... so who knows?

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I guess they would be open, huh - its a holiday here in canada lol.

Matt, I was thinking the same thing about his asking price vs what the HC poster paid - haggling is the name of the game if I go for it.

Since that $1050 works out to $1200CAD, I'd ask for some cash on his end + the guitar for my hamer - provided he's interested in the Hamer. If he decides to hardball, I will probably trade the hamer locally for a swamp ash LP studio and SG speciail..

EDIT: I called DCGL, these sold for $1500USD New. Still an ace-looking guitar, but my guitar is worth more.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I think you just like the zebra pickups :D

[action=Leon]likes it too.[/action]

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Holy balls, that's pretty. :eek:

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
It's very hot, and a testament to my belief that black headstocks on otherwise figured (quilted, flamed etc) guitars can be very effective.

CIAM

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that it is, that it is. With my updated facts, I think a straight trade would be reasonable - waiting to hear back from him from my previous emails.

I have the possibility to more or less get my old guitar back as well, plus one, with much less road time involved - one way or another, I'm hopefully getting a guitar I get on really well with :)

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this was part of the email response:

"Well, in my opinion, the neck on this guitar is not beefy since it's a Jackson DK profile neck. So it's more like a MH-1000 rather than a thin-U. New pics of the tags and neck plate are attached, no doubt it's from their custom shop. Serial no. is 005290"

I replied with what they went for new, what that guy paid used, and that I think he's asking far too much, and offered a straight trade. Now we wait.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not sure if he knew what it cost, I don't know if he's first owner or not.

I'll see what happens now that I've told him what his guitar cost brand new 7 years ago, and what someone paid for it 4 years ago, and what it's probably worth now.

I know I can get $1600 for mine lol. He saw that I had mine listed on guitarscanada, and that would explain where I've seen it before - I think it's been for sale for at least a year..

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got a reply, and we're going to find a time to test drive the prospective trade. New thread imminent regarding necks..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts