Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/13/arts/music/ryan-adams-women-sex.html

When Adams began corresponding online with a fan, Ava, in 2013, she was a 14-year-old bass player already forging a career.

But their correspondence about music turned into graphic texting. Eventually, Ava said, they conducted video calls on Skype, where Adams exposed himself during phone sex.

The Times has reviewed extensive communication between the two, including 3,217 text messages they exchanged over a nine-month period when Ava was 15 and 16.

In the texts, Adams questioned Ava repeatedly about her age, and sometimes she said she was older than she was. Though he did not seem convinced, their sexual conversations continued. "i would get in trouble if someone knew we talked like this," Adams wrote to her in November 2014.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Wow, I am out of it. Barely heard of this guy, who supposedly "has been heralded as a mercurial creative genius and a respected industry tastemaker."

I mean, I'm sure he's all that. It's more a case of :dgaf:

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Whenever I hear his name I think of Bryan Adams instead.. He is another one of the I know who you are but have no clue what your music sounds like club.

watches video...

:nope:

·
I measure things
1,917 Posts
Whenever I hear his name I think of Bryan Adams instead.. He is another one of the I know who you are but have no clue what your music sounds like club.

watches video...

Yes, this exactly. The first time I heard the name I thought somebody had Bryan Adams' name wrong.

I didn't watch the video.

I don't know anything about his music.

·
Read Only
10 Posts

watches video...

Ryan Adams definitely does not Cut Like A Knife.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Wow, I am out of it. Barely heard of this guy, who supposedly "has been heralded as a mercurial creative genius and a respected industry tastemaker."

I mean, I'm sure he's all that. It's more a case of :dgaf:
I think he's some kind of pop-country-rock guy who's made a shitload of cash for his record company. I could be wrong, because, I also do not give a shit, because I'm too concerned about discovering awesome Polish doom bands like Spaceslug.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Yeah, a buddy of mine texted me this story last night.

Fuck all y'all, I love Ryan Adams' music - he's more alt-country than Leon's characterization, I guess, and outside of Gold wasn't really ever a huge commercial draw - and I'll now have to be pretty conflicted about being a fan of his work, because all these allegations feel pretty credible. :(

This is fucking brilliant:

...but... Yeah, he's probably a sexual predator. So there's that. :(

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ryan Adams made it onto the radar because he was known for filming a music video with the World Trade Center as the backdrop just a couple days before it dropped. That was the first and only time I heard of the guy prior to Drew.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Ryan Adams made it onto the radar because he was known for filming a music video with the World Trade Center as the backdrop just a couple days before it dropped. That was the first and only time I heard of the guy prior to Drew.
A song called "New York, New York," with the refrain, "...but I'll always love you, though, New York," no less. Fuck the Yankees, and Gold was hands down his most commercial release and accordingly isn't worth bothering with beyond a few songs, but he's a brilliant sdinger-songwriter who evidently now is also a serial sex predator, which fucking sucks. :(

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
I think he's been shared on here in the past for doing things like this:

But, yeah, fuck him.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
But, yeah, fuck him.
Yeah, he's a metalhead and every once in a while will do a cover or release a metal album under a different name or something.

I don't expect most of you to like his music, but imagine learning that someone whose music you DO love turned out to be a total creep.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I don't expect most of you to like his music, but imagine learning that someone whose music you DO love turned out to be a total creep.
This is why I like Dave Mustaine: because from day one, he made it clear he's an asshole and you shouldn't like him. :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
This is why I like Dave Mustaine: because from day one, he made it clear he's an asshole and you shouldn't like him. :lol:
I mean, Adams wasn't much better - drug addict, asshole to audiences and band members (storming off stage midset was sort of a reoccurring feature of his career), and severely AD/HD making him difficult to work with. His band Whiskeytown imploded largely because he was a nightmare band member.

But, there's a difference between being a jackass, and a sexual creep.

...then again I wouldn't be shocked if Mustaine had a few skeletons of his own like that in his closet.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts