Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Leon has one of these?

Yesterday I was jamming with my drummer buddy, it was a grand time and we had an absolute blast as always :).

One thing was different (and this seems to be a trend): I spent at least half that jam using my TSovChaos on the "hot" side, with the drive up and the level down. I was almost drowning him out, but i digress :lol:.

The tone is crystal clear with a wack of punch. The guys who heard my TSovChaos w/ the JSX at Art's place hopefully remember what I mean. The drums filled out palm-muted breakdown type things nicely (given that it doesnt really have the gain).

I went back to the amp's distortion and... well damn, it felt like I just walked into higher-gain mud territory :(. The gain is in there and sure it sounds decent, but it was missing the clear distortion and punch of the pedal.

Which had me thinking about a modded DS-1 that was more high-gain oriented. I am scared, I am debating putting yet another piece of transistor circuitry in front of my tube amp to get a wicked distortion :lol:. I foresee an LP-> Behemoth-> Champ in my future hahaha.

Who here has experience with the Behemoth or a JoBo DS-1? I think dave does, maybe mike as well..

The JSX can still rip out the death metal tone, but ian said it best "clean distortion sounds sick" :lol:.

clips would be :wub:-tastic

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
I think I remember Leon being pretty impressed with it. Have you considered a JoBo modded MT-2? It's very brutal, yet clear and lacking that "box of bees" crap. I plan to work mine into the next version of my rig.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the DS-1 would be more up my alley, as I generally dont run ridiculous amounts of gain.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I've been meaning to open up my TS7 to see if i can remove the "TS9 []__] HOT" switch and wire up an external footswitch in its place.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
yes :D

i LOVE that pedal :wub:, although, i have no means for recording it's tone :( (well, if Kevan whips out the camera on Saturday...). i actually have TWO JoBo DS-1 pedals. the Behemoth is definitely my favorite. comparing the two, it has a more rounded, tube-like character. imagine a stock DS-1 that just got over a nasty cold, and has been working out for about a month.

the other JoBo DS-1 is more Marshall-ly. i forget the exact mod parameters, but when i sent it to Joe (along with my Maxon OD808 which got the HughJass mod (GET IT DONE!), and my Blues Driver that got the Legend mod), i asked him to just do whatever it was he did to Dave's pedal, since Dave raved about his own so much. it's a lot more powerful and crunchy, but... i think in comparison to the Behemoth, it still has that i-think-i'm-going-to-sneeze quality. i love it for fast rhythms, but anything more open, or any leads, and i stomp on the Behemoth.

oh shit! as i recall, Kevan said his shred *** is back from the dead. so, i'll have to do some sludging on it with the Behemoth, through my Sovtek :metal:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
oh^2, if you don't have one, get a Maxon OD808 and have Joe mod it. i was playing through my EpiValveJr yesterday, and was comparing the Behemoth DS-1 and the Maxon with the overdrive dimed. the Maxon was a touch clearer, and i think it has to do with the fact that it was driving the 5w EVJ into tube overtone madness, whereas the Behemoth provides more distortion, going into overkill. with my Sovtek (120 watts of Russian cleans), there is some punchy crunch if you turn up the preamp, and it marries VERY well with the Behemoth's distortion.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
on the gain channel, turn the drive down and level up(on the pedal). seriously. try it.
with the TSovChaos? or the Behemoth?

I generally run my TSoC as

drive: 0
tone: 5
level: 10
TS808 mode

:)

Leon, that's good to know. I've become fond of the JSX clean tones, and the fact that i was using my LP's volumes to go from clean to punched-crunch was lovely. I'd bother with the maxon, but i have a TSovChaos and the next OD i get will be a bloody murder :D.

Hopefully I can get a Behemoth DS-1 some time in april, end-of-exam present to myself :lol:. Man, as if i want a distortion pedal as my main squeeze :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
the other JoBo DS-1 is more Marshall-ly. i forget the exact mod parameters, but when i sent it to Joe (along with my Maxon OD808 which got the HughJass mod (GET IT DONE!), and my Blues Driver that got the Legend mod), i asked him to just do whatever it was he did to Dave's pedal, since Dave raved about his own so much. it's a lot more powerful and crunchy, but... i think in comparison to the Behemoth, it still has that i-think-i'm-going-to-sneeze quality. i love it for fast rhythms, but anything more open, or any leads, and i stomp on the Behemoth.
This is definitely highlighting the differences between applications, sine I would NEVER use mine for rhythm work. The low end on it completely falls apart when I starting thrashing away, which is why I use a modded TS instead. However, for leads, the thing is amazingly responsive, with plenty of thick low end and singing sustain. I really can't imagine playing through a pedal with more low end, or I'd get lost in the rhythm section. Then again, I play in a two guitar metal band, which IIRC is completely different from what Leon is doing.

I originally asked Joe for something to put in front of Ch2/Brit on the Roadster to get me close to the classic Bay Area thrash sound. I pretty much left it at that, sent him how much money he asked me for, and the DS-1 is what showed up. It did what I wanted it to , right down to the ridiculous amounts of buzzsaw gain and uncontrollable feedback. :lol: However, I did not realize that it was going to absolute magic in front of Ch3/Modern that I use for leads. The first time I stepped on it for a lead, Mike looked over and said, "What the hell was that?!?" :lol:

If you turn the amp gain waaaaaay down on a Stiletto's Ch2/Fluid, it also sounds absolutely amazing. Unfortunately, I once again have the problems with controlling feedback, although in that case I think it is the stock V1. I have always found Mesa preamp tubes too squeely for my taste, as it does it with just about any pedal out front.

Mike has a modded OD-1 from Joe that destroys any of the tube screamer variants that I've heard to date. It has the TS bite that we're all looking for, but it just seems to have more body and life to it. Which means I need to call Joe again.

I've been thinking about changing my live rig to a multi-pedal setup, so I can use the DS-1 for leads and a modded OD-1 for rhythms. Since I use all MIDI switching, I'll pick up another Nobels ALEX-1 (loop switcher), and switch them out as needed, on whatever channel I want it. Ch2/Brit sounds completely different, and usable, with both pedals, depending on application. I'll keep using the TS-7 on the floor for rehearsal/jamming, and probably sell of the Bloody Murder rackmount. It is a cool unit, but it is definitely better suited to someone looking for more of a death metal sort of grind.

Probably more than the OP was looking for, but it will give you a broader idea of the different applications that different pedals can have in front of an amp. I am at the point where I don't feel like I can get my sound without something out front driving the amp. Of course, it made out bassist have to order a modded compressor pedal to keep from getting completely buried. :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Leon is currently playing by himself in a basement :lol:

but, as far as a bigger difference, i'm using these pedals infront of a vintage-style, single channel amp. i've tried these pedals infront of my Mesa Nomad, and they just don't work as nicely. they really muck things up :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
FWIW, I use little to no gain on the pedals themselves. It's not like a Stiletto or Recto needs more gain. :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
i generally run the gain about 95% :lol:

but, when i was using my Maxon with the Nomad, the gain was always off :agreed:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cheers dave :)

what i was doing at this jam session was running the pedal into my clean channel - i wasn't boosting a distortion channel.

so im looking to get more saturation and body out of a pedal, without it being MT-2 high gain territory (i just dont need or use that much gain :shrug:).

dave, you have me intrigued on the modded OD-1. You said you use your DS-1 boosting the recto for leads?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
if body is what you're after, get the Behemoth. it haz it :ssharp:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
a little bit more saturation and some more chunk and body, that's what I'm after.

i have a feeling my tax return is spoken for :idea:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
what i was doing at this jam session was running the pedal into my clean channel - i wasn't boosting a distortion channel.

so im looking to get more saturation and body out of a pedal, without it being MT-2 high gain territory (i just dont need or use that much gain :shrug:).
I hear ya. For me, I have never been quite able to get the sound I want with pedal->clean channel, without hurting the clean channel by itself. My experience is the same as yours: the boosted channel sounds thin, simply because you're dialing in less bass (to keep it from woofing) and more treble (to keep it shimmery up top). The pedal just isn't giving you the compression you normally get from tube gain stages, unless you buy something like a Metal Zone, which is just way more compression and gain than I could ever use. However, that pedal works for Canibal Corpse, and Joe supposedly does some wicked mods to them.

Remember, one of the primary things that all of these pedals do is roll of the lows, tightening up your sound.

dave, you have me intrigued on the modded OD-1. You said you use your DS-1 boosting the recto for leads?
Yep, and it sounds awesome. I keep the gain all the way off, level maxed, tone to suit, just like a TS.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Basically I'm after the distortion equivalent of the TSovChaos, i think that makes sense right? just adding some saturation and body to the tone and then voila - awesomeness.

I think I email him and see what he has to say on the subject.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts