Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Great, solid pre. The Tone Hammer is actually based on the OBP-3, with the added AGS drive circuit.

Other great possibilities include EMG (punchy, clear, modern, and a little clinical); Glockenklang (super transparent); Sadowsky (pricey but with plenty of top and bottom end extension).

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Also heard great things about Audere.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Yeah, I'm a passive guy too on bass.

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
why not have a rad amp? do you actually use the eq boost/cut on your bass now?
I'm looking for a on board preamp. I like the sound of active pickups. The fanned fret pickups I'm winding are going to be passive.

Figured I'd give the preamp a try. :shrug:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

Preamps are awesome.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Sorry for the late response, issues with Comcast :mad:

I like the OBP-3, it's a nice musical preamp. I'm not in love with it though. I think if you can get a Pope Flexcore for a similar price you'd be better off with that, as it is incredibly neutral; when you set it flat you get your passive pickups 99% of the way they'd sound without a pre at all. That's really important if you sort of want a great pre but also really dig the current passive sound of your pups.
The Audere is a really nice pre as well, both the 3 band and the 4 band Z mode units. For the buck, it's probably the best around as you can get them new for under $200. East makes a superb pre at a higher price point...there are lots of good preamps out there :) I think my choice for a low/mid/high type pre would be East first (with the always on passive tone), then the Pope. That's because I'm biased towards 'always on active' though, they are both excellent units.

I'm going to be replacing the pre in my Carvin shortly with an ACG EQ-01 filter pre, which is a filter based pre and also pretty versatile. I'm going that way though to get my feet wet on filter pre's and didn't want a single LPF for both pickups but rather one per pickup.

How many holes are you trying to fill? Some of these pres need 4 or 5, though the Pope is (as its name suggests) pretty flexible as to what you can do with the available holes for pots. Almost all of these work fantastically with just the 9v as well - no real need for 18v here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts