Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Since they're defunct
Odd.. I don't remember them saying they've pulled up stumps. Last time I checked they were still recording a new album and were about to go on a Sound Awake anniversary local tour, but the latter stopped because 'Stay Home It's 2020 And Counting'.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, you'd know better than me. I had heard something about them putting the band on pause semi-officially in 2017 or so but I could be misremembering.

Still glad to hear Ian on a project like this. Olly is a cool dude in his own right too, obv.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Will check this out. Sound Awake is an inspirational masterpiece that I will listen to for the rest of my life. Couldn't get into Asymmetry at all.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
That's Olly Steele of Monuments's solo album? I love Monuments and I love Karnivool, so that sounds like it could be really good. It sounded like a way that Karnivool COULD have evolved if they had released an album now, considering their last album came out all the way back in 2013.

Although I enjoyed Asymmetry, it was nothing remotely as good as Sound Awake... or Themata for that matter. I think Asymmetry was more similar to Sound Awake in some ways, but Themata was just a much more entertaining and engaging album.

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
Yep, can confirm they should have been touring this year, they were meant to come to the UK for Sound Awake anniversary.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
That was cool.

I love Karnivool. I hope to god they're not done, because they're one of the best bands of the last 20 years.

·
Premium Member
RGMS7
922 Posts
This is my second time hearing this and it's grown on me a bit. Something about the mix or guitar tone is really distracting to me in the beginning.

Will check this out. Sound Awake is an inspirational masterpiece that I will listen to for the rest of my life. Couldn't get into Asymmetry at all.
This

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Since they haven't done anything on years, all of my Karnivool love went toward Leprous. Different, but in the same vein (IMO).

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
Only listened on a phone so far, but holy hell are those guitars loud. Drowning out the vocals and the drums when they get busy.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Since they haven't done anything on years, all of my Karnivool love went toward Leprous. Different, but in the same vein (IMO).
I actually like Leprous quite a bit more than Karnivool (even though I've known and listened to Karnivool for way, way longer), but I don't think they sound at all similar personally.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts