Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, being that I can take on normal person hobbies, i've decided to take a look into building a bass. I"m not going to be doing this for money, or for other people. I just sort of want a project and this sounds like fun. I'm sure after sanding something for 10 hours, i'll think it's less fun, but whatever, i'm not there yet.

What i'd like to know is, what tools are mandatory to get started? I'm not planning on doing much as far as carving. No arch top or anything like that. I plan on doing a fretless but i'd like to do some fretlines possibly. I'm a complete noob so don't assume i know anything about anything.

boosh!

·
From the Grave
355 Posts
Drill.
Clamps. Lots of clamps.
Glue.
Sandpaper.
sanding block. Flat. and one with radius for fingerboard.

The rest is up to you. :agreed:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Add a router to the list, which you will need to do the pickups, neck pocket, and control cavity. Well, unless you a masochist and what to chisel them out.

I'm assuming you're buying a neck? Otherwise, you're gonna need a shit ton of other stuff.

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Going fretless makes things so much simpler.

If you ever want to do fretted I can run down the list. There are a lot of specialized tools needed.

·
From the Grave
355 Posts
Add a router to the list, which you will need to do the pickups, neck pocket, and control cavity. Well, unless you a masochist and what to chisel them out.

I'm assuming you're buying a neck? Otherwise, you're gonna need a shit ton of other stuff.
Or a drill press will work. with some sanding and smoothing after.

·
sawdust aficionado
1,343 Posts
Bandsaw would be best, but a jigsaw could also be used (or handsaw if you've got time, patience and endurance).

Soldering iron...a good soldering iron.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts