Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Scayles/Live Music. Two shops up north bridge (near the Tesco and Lidl, opposite Edinburgh Bargain Stores) owned by the same guy. Scayles is bigger, Live focuses on s/h stuff. The tech is a guy named Phil, who taught me everything I know. Last I checked it was £35 for an hour's work, which covers fret dress and restring/setup. A restring and setup is normally only £17.48 plus cost of strings. Guys in the shop can do it for you too even cheaper (beer fund donation required) but honestly man, get it set up by Phil and you'll never go back.

I do all my own setups (pretty well, I think) but I still get Phil to do my guitars before big gigs and tours because they're just SO amazing. :lol:

Where about are you staying? Did you get into to Edinburgh University? You at halls? Which ones?

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scayles/Live Music. Two shops up north bridge (near the Tesco and Lidl, opposite Edinburgh Bargain Stores) owned by the same guy. Scayles is bigger, Live focuses on s/h stuff. The tech is a guy named Phil, who taught me everything I know. Last I checked it was £35 for an hour's work, which covers fret dress and restring/setup. A restring and setup is normally only £17.48 plus cost of strings. Guys in the shop can do it for you too even cheaper (beer fund donation required) but honestly man, get it set up by Phil and you'll never go back.

I do all my own setups (pretty well, I think) but I still get Phil to do my guitars before big gigs and tours because they're just SO amazing. :lol:

Where about are you staying? Did you get into to Edinburgh University? You at halls? Which ones?
Thanks dude. :wub: I actually checked out Scayles today; the dude seemed pretty helpful. I need to have my ES335 rewired. I have neither the patience nor the means to do that myself. :lol: It could also use a general setup. If they are as good as you say, I'll go there. I was also investigating guitarguitar (I actually bought my ES335 from them many moon ago). I also need a decent tech for when my ET RG7 *finally* comes home. :)

Yeah, I got into Edinburgh University to study English Language, Literature and Linguistics. I'm staying in South Clerk Street, so Scayles is a piddly five minute walk. :) I'm not your typical student (teetotal and taken :lol:), but it's been fantastic (excluding the hell of freshers' week).

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Thanks dude. :wub: I actually checked out Scayles today; the dude seemed pretty helpful. I need to have my ES335 rewired. I have neither the patience nor the means to do that myself. :lol: It could also use a general setup. If they are as good as you say, I'll go there. I was also investigating guitarguitar (I actually bought my ES335 from them many moon ago). I also need a decent tech for when my ET RG7 *finally* comes home. :)

Yeah, I got into Edinburgh University to study English Language, Literature and Linguistics. I'm staying in South Clerk Street, so Scayles is a piddly five minute walk. :) I'm not your typical student (teetotal and taken :lol:), but it's been fantastic (excluding the hell of freshers' week).
Got fresher's cold yet? :lol:

I'll be completely honest with you man, I love guitar guitar, best job I ever had, but despite the less than modern surroundings, the guy in Live Music really is the best in Edinburgh. He's been doing it for years and years, and I've never seen him turn down a job as too difficult.

He'll do your 335 as well, but bear in mind that it DOES take longer, so it will cost more than working on a traditional electrioc guitar.

Best bet is to pop into Live Music (just round the corner from Scayles) and ask if you can talk to him about the work you want done. He's in 12-5. Just don't waste his time, haha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.