Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, wanted to run this past you guys - when I threw a Duncan Custom 7 in the bridge of my Suhr, I didn't immediately realize that the middle position was out of phase in humbucker mode (I don't use it much), so I finally got around to rewiring it tonight. I'd had the Sentient in the neck wired backwards previously to get it to hum cancel when tapped , so I just reversed that one, and wired it so both pickups were black/north start to switch, white/north finish and red/south finish to coil tap switch on tone control, and green/south start and bare to ground. The HH position was now in phase, but when I tapped the humbuckers, the middle position was no longer hum cancelling.

So, I dug around a bit and tried a few things, and since it looks like most people use the south inner coil for tapping, switched to that hoping it'd solve my problem. The guitar is now wired green/south start to switch, white/red to tap switch, and black/bare to ground. I like the sound more from this coil so I'm happy with the change, and it's back in phase when run as a humbucker, but when tapped, I'm still getting some hum. The guitar is pretty well shielded and I really only use the position clean so it's not the end of the world, but if it's a simple fix I'd love too do something about it. So, any suggestions?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually, I just answered my own question - looks like the pickups aren't oriented in the same direction, so I just need to flip one of them.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, that didn't do it, either. Hmm. Enough for one night, anyway.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
It sounds like you might be using the south bobbin on the bridge pickup, not the north, and if you're also using the south on the neck then it wouldn't be hum canceling. Check what coil is active in the middle position as suggested above.

Green to red is the south coil on Duncans, start to finish, and white to black is the north coil, start to finish respectively.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
So you have a 3 way and a coil split? You want to have the inner coils when split? And hum canceling? Or do you want the neck side of the neck humbucker when split for a better neck "single" sound?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What ******* said, basically - right now, while I don't have the guitar in front of me, I believe I have it wired up so that the two inner coils (both slug) are active when tapped. I'd be fine with either coil in the neck - both sounded good to me - as long as I could get the middle position to hum cancel. Right now it actually sounds unexpectedly stratty considering these are two fairly hot humbuckers, it's just it does hum.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
What ******* said, basically - right now, while I don't have the guitar in front of me, I believe I have it wired up so that the two inner coils (both slug) are active when tapped. I'd be fine with either coil in the neck - both sounded good to me - as long as I could get the middle position to hum cancel. Right now it actually sounds unexpectedly stratty considering these are two fairly hot humbuckers, it's just it does hum.
Ok you will need to wire the pickup "reverse" Swap all the wire colors. This will give you the screw coil. the Middle position will sound less strat-y but will hum cancel. if you want strat back then physically reverse the neck pickup.

For the reversing of the pickup wires, connect white to ground, black and green together to the push/pull, and red to hot.

or if you dont want that then instead of the neck pickup coil red and white going to ground on the push/pull, they will need to have a jumper over to the 3 way switch.

You may have to flip a magnet in one of the pickups, while reversing the hot and ground to get both inner coils in phase and hum-cancelling.
You dont have to do this unless you are going for a PRS or other inner/outer switching and you dont want to physically reverse the pickup.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm. I DID just reverse the neck pickup, lol. So, since I'm a little, ahem, slow about this stuff, what I want to do is flip the pickup, then rewire it so that the screw coil (which is now the inside coil) is active?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:yesway: I'll try to tackle this tonight. Thanks!

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, I'm still stumped. :lol: This is more or less what the wiring looks like:

Only real difference is I have a 3-way blade, not a 3-way toggle. Wired exactly as indicated, I have the inner coils active when tapped, but hum in the middle position as well as fairly pronounced phase cancellation - more truly phase-cancelled filtered than the in-between "quack" sound of a strat. So, if I swap the neck pickup's green from the ground to the switch and sent the black to the ground instead, I get an active neck position screw coil (which actually sounds kind of awesome), slug position bridge, and hum. This was how i had this wired originally, and IIRC it was humcancelling in the middle position when tapped, but had that notched/phase cancellation sound in full humbucker mode in the middle position.

So, I'm trying to think through this. First possible explanation, and not one that's all that likely, is that since I bought both pickups second hand, it's possible that one of them is reverse polarity and I just never knew that, since I wasn't the original buyer.

Second, is that what I'm doing by swapping the wires here is switching the active coil, and not changing it's phase alignment. So, if I want to flip the neck coil 180 degrees out of phase, I THINK what I need to do is change the wiring, and sent the green to the coil tap, and instead wire the red to the switch. Would that work, and not cause any other problems in full humbucker mode? At this point I just have a headache, and want to mix a drink and just go play, so I'm not gonna bother with it unless I'm sure it works tonight. :lol:

·
Banned
835 Posts
Yeah, the diagram is not meant to be hum-cancelling in the "middle/split" position.

One of the pickups' split position needs to be swapped to the other coil, and the magnet must be flipped.

To swap to the other coil, clip the wire between the poles of the DPDT switch and make it connect the Red/White to the Black wire of that pickup. Obviously, that should not be connected to ground, and a wire will need to be run from that, to the pickup selector. Have fun!

Alternatively, just flip the green and black wires of one of the pickups, but the middle non-split position will be out of phase. It's a thing, some people like it.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, the diagram is not meant to be hum-cancelling in the "middle/split" position.

One of the pickups' split position needs to be swapped to the other coil, and the magnet must be flipped.

To swap to the other coil, clip the wire between the poles of the DPDT switch and make it connect the Red/White to the Black wire of that pickup. Obviously, that should not be connected to ground, and a wire will need to be run from that, to the pickup selector. Have fun!

Alternatively, just flip the green and black wires of one of the pickups, but the middle non-split position will be out of phase. It's a thing, some people like it.
Forgive my ignorance here, but that can't possibly be the case.

First, I had this wired up just fine previously with a Wolfe-rewound JB in the bridge position, and it was only when I swapped that for the Custom that I started to have trouble with the pickups being out of phase - initially it was the humbuckers being out of phase in the middle position, wired in parallel, but that cleared up when I un-reversed the neck pickup back to what's shown in that diagram. The problem was, when it was wired up then as shown, both blacks to the switch, the middle position WAS out of phase in the phase cancellation sense, when tapped, and not the Strat-y sense. But, the rest of the wiring in theory should be correct, as it was hum-cancelling and not out of phase in the middle position with a rewound Duncan (using peavey color codes, so it's possible I screwed something up there, but I worked it out pretty carefully in advance before I swapped).

Second, at present, I DO have the green and black swapped for the neck pickup. Tapped, I get the neck coil, and it's in phase but not hum cancelling in the middle position.

This actually makes me think that a reverse polarity pickup is a slightly more likely solution.

·
Banned
835 Posts
What makes you think the rewound pickup was reassembled in a particular orientation? There's a 50% chance the magnet was reinstalled backwards, unless he somehow marked a magnet and a screw/slug that was covered in wax.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guessing based on what I'm hearing with it wired it - it seems like it's doing the reverse of what it should, no?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts