Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the Special Edition adds some 10 minutes of footage, none of which really serves to enhance the plot or character development in any significant way, but guess what? I didn't get to see this thing in the theaters, so I just bought IMAX 3D tix for date night.

Can't wait. :metal:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Nothing about the 10 minutes of extra footage makes me want to run out and buy a "special edition", but go see this thing in IMAX 3D. That was really the experience of the movie.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
The movie is pretty, but beyond that, the storyline is boring, the dialogue sucks, and the acting isn't any better... Pretty meh movie beyond the eye candy.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
The movie is pretty, but beyond that, the storyline is boring, the dialogue sucks, and the acting isn't any better... Pretty meh movie beyond the eye candy.
I'm guessing you didn't see this movie for the first time in IMAX 3D?

My girlfriend and I left the theater literally brain dead, in a fog. I hadn't felt that way since leaving Quantum Physics class back in college.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I'm guessing you didn't see this movie for the first time in IMAX 3D?

My girlfriend and I left the theater literally brain dead, in a fog. I hadn't felt that way since leaving Quantum Physics class back in college.
I saw it in XD 3D, digital. Comparing the two, I prefer XD to IMAX. Like I said, the movie was pretty, but the actual content of the movie sucked.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I missed it in theaters. I might have to go find an Imax theater for this.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I saw it in XD 3D, digital. Comparing the two, I prefer XD to IMAX. Like I said, the movie was pretty, but the actual content of the movie sucked.
I don't know what XD 3D is, but we did actually go back and watch it in the Digital 3D, and it was absolutely no comparison to the IMAX version.

I wasn't looking for anything profound; I didn't expect any mindblowing, plot twisting theatrical masterpiece, I was in it for pure entertainment on a boring, rainy Friday afternoon. Shit, I barely even knew anything about the movie at all and my girlfriend and I were like "What do you want to do today?" and it just happened to be the opening day so went that afternoon on a whim and were lucky to get tickets.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may or may not have obtained the movie and watched it a couple of weeks ago. I may or may not totally disagree that the movie is nothing but eye candy. :nono:

It may not have a brand-new plot (OMG, a star-crossed love story!) or complex characters (I'm a battle-hardened Marine here to destroy errything and take names! Heuh!) and it might even have been an adult reboot of Ferngully, but damn it if I wasn't very moved watching the movie.

Hence why I'm dragging the woman to it.

·
18,790 Posts
Yeah, the plot and characters aren't anything new, really, but what's wrong with digging out the classic archetypes once in a while? I saw it twice in theaters (not IMAX, but a big-ass screen in a high-quality theater), my parents saw it 5 times, and will probably go back a few more :lol: Definitely an incredible visual movie, though, and the motion capture technology alone makes it worth seeing at least once.

Though, this does kind of sum it up rather accurately :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^ :lol:

How is the 3D aspect of it? Tell me it's not bullshit. I saw The Polar Express 3D with some tykes I took to the theater for the day and it was like "OOOH THIS THING FLIES AT YOUR FACE TOO."

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts

How is the 3D aspect of it? Tell me it's not bullshit. I saw The Polar Express 3D with some tykes I took to the theater for the day and it was like "OOOH THIS THING FLIES AT YOUR FACE TOO."
Dude, the IMAX 3D will really surprise you. It's not bullshit. Just go check it out. There's really nothing to say about it, you have to experience it. It floored me.

·
18,790 Posts

I never saw Polar Express, but I've seen a couple other 3D movies recently (How To Train A Dragon, and Monsters vs. Aliens) and Avatar is like something completely different. Rather than being about 3D effects, it's more about depth and realism. As was said, you basically have to see it to get it. There were only a couple of moments that really drew me out of the movie and made me go "Oooh, neat, 3D" and they were subtle things, not "Holy crap it's coming right at me!" moments :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW, ******* said the studios figured they lost out on at least $200-300 million because Alice in Wonderland booted Avatar out of IMAX theaters.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Avatar has done 3D better than any other movie I've ever seen. Other movies are like, "WOO! LOOK! IT'S IN THREEEEE DEEEEEEE!!! YAY!" but Avatar does it in a much more natural way and not in the "Didn't I see this back in the 1980s...?" style of so many movies where 3D seems to be an afterthought. Avatar seems like the movie was made from the very beginning with 3D in mind and with every aspect of it really well thought out.

As for all the people hating on the story, I don't get it. It's almost like "Well, it sold a ton and it looks amazing. What can I say bad about it? Oh, I know. The story! It's not original enough." Sorry, but the movie was very entertaining and well done. The story was somewhat simple, but that is not a bad thing by any means.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
BTW, ******* said the studios figured they lost out on at least $200-300 million because Alice in Wonderland booted Avatar out of IMAX theaters.
I recently saw Alice In Wonderland and it totally sucked. I was pissed at Tim Burton for ruining two of the coolest novels from the 1800s. Tim Burton is known for being weird, yet somehow he took all of the weirdness out of Alice In Wonderland. I can't begin to fathom how he managed to do it... And how did the movie sell so well? It was a bunch of shit. :noplease:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I think the people who didn't like Avatar are the ones who were expecting too much out of it. I expected it to be eye candy and nothing more, kinda like the cool scifi CGI version of Rambo or Commando. So, I was ridiculously happy with it. I loved how much depth and realism there was to everything. Fuck the story, I wasn't there for that.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I recently saw Alice In Wonderland and it totally sucked. I was pissed at Tim Burton for ruining two of the coolest novels from the 1800s. Tim Burton is known for being weird, yet somehow he took all of the weirdness out of Alice In Wonderland. I can't begin to fathom how he managed to do it... And how did the movie sell so well? It was a bunch of shit. :noplease:
I can only assume the other movie is his raping of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. After that, I just skipped Alice in Wonderland. I knew no good could come from it.

Actually, the only Burton moves I can really remember enjoying were Sweeny Todd and Sleepy Hollow. Both had the right mixture of darkness and camp to pull off the original material. Most of the time, I think he's just trying way too hard.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I can only assume the other movie is his raping of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. After that, I just skipped Alice in Wonderland. I knew no good could come from it.
I meant "Alice In Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" (since Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was published in 1964), since Burton based the movie very roughly on both of those novels, but yeah. He also ruined Charlie and the Factory. I loved the 1971 film with Gene Wilder, though. I think Johnny Depp is a great actor, but I really didn't like either of those adaptations. I thought Alice In Wonderland had a lot of great actors and actresses, but just ended up sucking.

Actually, the only Burton moves I can really remember enjoying were Sweeny Todd and Sleepy Hollow. Both had the right mixture of darkness and camp to pull off the original material. Most of the time, I think he's just trying way too hard.
I actually have liked quite a few Tim Burton films, such as: Sweeney Todd, Sleepy Hollow, Batman, Batman Returns, Ed Wood, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and Mars Attacks. But I really didn't like Alice In Wonderland, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Planet of the Apes (loved the original, hated the remake). I thought Peewee's Big Adventure, Edward Scissorhands, and Beetlejuice were decent films, but I neither really liked or disliked them.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Going tonight. I can't wait!

Would you guys say 30 minutes early is enough to get me close to the front of the line to get a kickass seat? I like to be 2/3 of the way up and as close to center as possible. I expect the room to be sold out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts