Metal Guitarist Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you haven't already downloaded the latest mandatory AVG 2011 Free software update, it may be best not to if you want your computer to turn on again. The December 1 update is causing 64-bit PCs running Windows 7 to totally breakdown.

The problem appears to lie in the 271.1.1/3292 (432/3292) database update, which requires PCs that run the update to restart. Affected PCs will throw up a c0000135 error upon restarting, and fail to boot.

AVG have since pulled the update so no more computers suffer, but if your computer got caught then all is not lost. AVG have released a handy set of instructions to follow, detailing how to disable the software if it bricks your system.

AVG Forum users have also come up with a few tricks to forcing the system to boot, such as pressing F8 and removing the AVG update. All methods will need the Repair CD in order to re-install the software.
Hope nobody is running AVG on W7x64 :noway:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I guess that's what you get for running one of the shittiest anti-virus programs on the planet. :yesway:

I wonder how the hell they pulled this off.

Hilariously enough, when I followed through to the Inquirer article, a huge Norton Symantec ad flashed up before the article. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
:lol:

"My free Antivirus software shits on my 64-bit operating system from the most notoriously shitty software maker on the planet. Woe is me!"

"Yo dog, I got dual gpu video cards, 16GB of RAM and a sick 64-bit OS running on a mad tite water cooled setup. No way am I paying $100 for a piece of software that might protect my identity and prevent someone from Nigeria from emptying my bank account. Shit, I could spend that on more LED fans!"

·
Read Only
10 Posts
That reminded me of this other thread where I was called irresponsible and stupid etc. for not using AV :lol:
You are still irresponsible and stupid for not using AV. :yesway:

Raise your hand if anyone here would use ^'s computer for buying something online and putting their credit card in. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
That reminded me of this other thread where I was called irresponsible and stupid etc. for not using AV :lol:
You are stupid and irresponsible for not using AV. Did I tell you to use AVG? No. Had you asked, I would have told you to use NOD32, or if you're that cheap, MS Security Essentials. The latter is made by......Microsoft.

Now why don't you run along now and buy something on the Internet, so that tonight someone in the Russian mafia can use your credit card # to purchase warmer mittens. It's cold outside.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Norton is still the worst Anti-virus ever.
You're objectively incorrect. It is a bit bloaty, but over the last several years it has turned into an AVS with consistent top rankings from all independent labs for detection and blocking/elimination of threats. Its only competitors are eSet NOD32 and Kaspersky.

:lol:

"My free Antivirus software shits on my 64-bit operating system from the most notoriously shitty software maker on the planet. Woe is me!"

"Yo dog, I got dual gpu video cards, 16GB of RAM and a sick 64-bit OS running on a mad tite water cooled setup. No way am I paying $100 for a piece of software that might protect my identity and prevent someone from Nigeria from emptying my bank account. Shit, I could spend that on more LED fans!"
Yeah.

You hate drivers that work?
Yeah.

You are still irresponsible and stupid for not using AV. :yesway:

Raise your hand if anyone here would use ^'s computer for buying something online and putting Hebo's credit card in. :lol:
:yesway:

You are stupid and irresponsible for not using AV. Did I tell you to use AVG? No. Had you asked, I would have told you to use NOD32, or if you're that cheap, MS Security Essentials. The latter is made by......Microsoft.

Now why don't you run along now and buy something on the Internet, so that tonight someone in the Russian mafia can use your credit card # to purchase warmer mittens. It's cold outside.
MS Security Essentials is almost as bad as McAfee. :lol:

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
NOD all the way. And I don't really care if Norton is any good at detecting stuff, it's still pricey as fuck and use waaaay to much ram.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
You are stupid and irresponsible for not using AV. Did I tell you to use AVG? No. Had you asked, I would have told you to use NOD32, or if you're that cheap, MS Security Essentials.
Is NOD32 pretty good? I just checked it out, and it looks pretty good for the buck. I'm using MSE on a few computers, and AVG on another. I'm thinking about booting AVG and giving NOD32 a try.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Is NOD32 pretty good? I just checked it out, and it looks pretty good for the buck. I'm using MSE on a few computers, and AVG on another. I'm thinking about booting AVG and giving NOD32 a try.
NOD32 is excellent, and used to have the smallest memory and processing footprint out of the major AV programs. Probably still does.

For several years after they started, they also had a 100% proactive success rate at stopping new threats - I thought 2008 was the first year that a new threat got past their update system and detection engine, but they're claiming it's still a perfect record.

Kim, you're right, Norton is bloaty and expensive, but that doesn't make it the worst AVS... at least it works.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.