Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just about to tune my Hohner to open E and play some slide...:D

Reactions: Shawn

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
He's good! But you'd better be a badass to hang on the same stage with Warren Haynes.

The Allman Bros. are a hotter band with both Derek and Warren, but I kind of preferred them with Dickey Betts back in the '90s. His 'sweeter' soloing made a better contrast with Warren than Derek's work does. Warren would take this really hot solo, and then Dickey would play something really simple and perfect, with that tone of his, and just take it to another level.

Unfortunately, Dickey is apparently a "mean drunk" who pissed off everyone else, and the rest is history...

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Dude, Dickey was always my favorite AB's guitarist, and I absolutely love his style. He has that melodic, singing quality to all of his solos, and you are spot-on about the cool contrast between the two guitarists.

These days, they ought to just call it "The Greg Allman Band", since I think he is the only guy left.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Personally, I prefer his work with Susan Tedeschi:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
They're married, right Dave? Man, those are gonna be some musical kids. :lol:

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
Trucks is awesome and this whole DVD rocks! I especially like the way the tone starts amping up around the 1:30 mark of this clip.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Dude, Dickey was always my favorite AB's guitarist, and I absolutely love his style. He has that melodic, singing quality to all of his solos, and you are spot-on about the cool contrast between the two guitarists.

These days, they ought to just call it "The Greg Allman Band", since I think he is the only guy left.
Both original drummers, Butch and Jaimoe, are still in the band.

The other interesting thing about Dickey not being in the band anymore is that it cuts off a pretty huge chunk of the ABB catalog, since they won't do any of his songs (or at least not the ones he sang).

I haven't seen the ABB live since Dickey left the band, but I've heard enough recent live recordings to know what's missing. The last time I saw the ABB, Dickey played some of the best guitar I've ever heard in person. Not the fastest or trickiest, just the best. He had bad nights later on, apparently, but when the connection was there, it was pretty amazing.

That's not to say anything bad about Derek, though. He's a fantastic musician. I almost think being in the ABB holds him back creatively, since he goes off into some wild fusiony stuff on his own.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Both original drummers, Butch and Jaimoe, are still in the band.
Ah, I didn't know they were the originals. Cool. :yesway:

I haven't seen the ABB live since Dickey left the band, but I've heard enough recent live recordings to know what's missing. The last time I saw the ABB, Dickey played some of the best guitar I've ever heard in person. Not the fastest or trickiest, just the best. He had bad nights later on, apparently, but when the connection was there, it was pretty amazing.
Exactly. The guy just knows exactly what to play, and what order to put it in. Those melodic, bouncing descending lines just get stuck in your brain.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
That's not to say anything bad about Derek, though. He's a fantastic musician. I almost think being in the ABB holds him back creatively, since he goes off into some wild fusiony stuff on his own.
Jesus, I remember hearing him do a slide rendition of some uptempo Coltrane tune which was just mindblowing. Duane Allman may have written the book on slide guitar, but Trucks sort of tossed it out and rewrote an entire alternate universe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts