Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been sick in bed the last few days and just caught this chappers/Andertons review of the mesa cab clone. apparently the first review they did sounded dreadful, and was not in their eyes a good representation of the product - so Mesa sent along a gear demonstrator to 'help' them re-shoot the video.

I thought this video was quite amusing, as they clearly have to maintain their business relationship with Mesa, but at the same time don't want to admit that their first demo was flawed. And once they finish the recording and listen back to the results it gets even more awkward. :rofl:

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
GOD are they unbearable to watch. I got :47 in and done. And I watch Top Gear UK so it's not like I'm not used to British humor, or anything.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
You know nothing about British humour based solely on watching Top Gear :lol:
:agreed:

I don't find these guys as offensive as many do. Their "comparison" videos are generally pretty good, and you get a general idea of how their amps demoed sound in the room (and they're nice enough to pay a couple different styles, riffs, and dial in different sounds). Their reviews are a bit long sometimes, but overall they're a nice resource.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Wondernuts)

I don't mind most of what they do, however their general lack of knowledge of their products and general gear annoys me.

This however was them being forced to put on the smiles for the distributor lest they lose their mess distributors license. I gotta say though, this kinda does show the cab clones shortcomings. I think it'd be a great unit to pair with the WOS plugin but I couldn't find a use for the in built emulation.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Eh, don't need to watch this, thankfully. Jeff's and Ola's demos were enough to convince me to keep my Palmer (it's got the same, maybe better options) and forget this thing.

Now I just have to wait until the Mark V 25s are available in mid January and choose a 1x12. Not a 'Chappers' in sight!
I can understand you not liking it, as it's pretty similar to the Palmer, and if you're not 100% happy with those tones, you won't be with the CC. However, the unfortunate part of the Anderton's video is that they only use the Vintage cabinet emulation, which is the turd amongst the three settings, and they completely skip the other two good settings. It's misrepresentative of the unit.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
I dont get it. It works great. Maybe you might not love the tones. No biggie. Its subjective. Throw a good impulse on there. But it does do what its supposed to do.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Reverend 7 Strings of Hate said:
I dont get it. It works great. Maybe you might not love the tones. No biggie. Its subjective. Throw a good impulse on there. But it does do what its supposed to do.
Not knocking it, dad-man. Just saying, having seen and heard other demos, it does nothing my Palmer can't do, so it's of no use or interest to me. It's a great product, though.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Not knocking it, dad-man. Just saying, having seen and heard other demos, it does nothing my Palmer can't do, so it's of no use or interest to me. It's a great product, though.
Yeah, pretty much the same, with the benefit of being smaller, and cheaper for us US folk. The Palmer is like $700 here.

I gotta say though, this kinda does show the cab clones shortcomings. I think it'd be a great unit to pair with the WOS plugin but I couldn't find a use for the in built emulation.
Given that the video only shows one setting, you're better off listening/watching Ola's video, since he knows how to do an actual gear demo video.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts

I've heard both the demos trough my monitors and still find it lacking in the emulation side. Brilliant for using external ir's but I find the in built emulation not a tone idf be after. Still better than digital modeling by a country mile and great for the price, but I'd run it into WOS or just use one of Two Notes devices.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

I've heard both the demos trough my monitors and still find it lacking in the emulation side. Brilliant for using external ir's but I find the in built emulation not a tone idf be after. Still better than digital modeling by a country mile and great for the price, but I'd run it into WOS or just use one of Two Notes devices.
Fair enough. I've been digging it with a doubled sound, one side Cabclone, one side Redwirez. I don't really care for WoS, which I have as well. Made the amp sound like a modeler.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
:agreed:

I don't find these guys as offensive as many do. Their "comparison" videos are generally pretty good, and you get a general idea of how their amps demoed sound in the room (and they're nice enough to pay a couple different styles, riffs, and dial in different sounds). Their reviews are a bit long sometimes, but overall they're a nice resource.
For me though that's part of the problem. Their reviews of stuff like this are, well, this one's almost 17 minutes long, and usually it's about 80% of them joking around with each other and 20% about the actual gear. I'm interested in the Cab Clone, for sure, but not enough to sit through 17 minutes of bad jokes for a couple minutes of playing.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts

is there a two notesd product in the same price range?

I thought tn stuff was more expensive than cc by a significant amount

I find chappers and anderton vids long winded and too much of their vids are about themselves and their jokes rather than the product

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
No, two notes stuff is far more expensive however the Cab Clone offers an unsimulated output which can be used with an external IR loader such as Two Notes Wall of Sound III plugin.

Basically you can use the dry output of the cab clone to feed a more powerful software cabinet simulator for more options without shelling out over a grand for a Torpedo which I think is the Cab Clones strong point as it doesn't tie you down to just the on board emulation.

·
Guitar noob
2,202 Posts
just a word on this matter, you have to remember that the cab clone is a passive load box, by being passive it doesn't represent the full range of certain amplifiers as a Two Notes Reload do(which is active). The raw non-simulated output is also affected by this. The RAW result will be different than with an active loadbox.

With that said the cab clone is a less expensive option and you can definitely make it sound good. For the bedroom guitar player it's definitely more than enough.

For the sake of the demo I did, I used the onboard impulses, and I've had great results using my own impulses also.

4,429 Posts
I'm still waiting on my cab clone to ship so I can't comment on it's capabilities yet, but I can't stand the long demos with a bunch of guys talking.

Premier guitar has nailed the review format in my opinion. A few of the guys play on one sound or talk a bit too much and don't show the range of equipment as well, but most are really good about giving a good combination of different dialed in tones as well as showing the ranges of different controls.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts