Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Hey, I'm extremely new to midi and need help hooking my Axefx up to Axe Edit. I keep getting an error.

So I got 2 5-pin midi cables the other week to finally hook everything up. This has been my first midi encounter. I hooked the midi in from the axe into my Presonus Firestudio Mobiles (it has a midi adapter) midi out. I then hooked up the midi out to the midi in. Just the way I read. So I start up Axe Edit and I get this error saying "check midi settings..."

No idea what I'm doing wrong. The firmware on my AxeFx is 10.02 and the AxeEdit software is the latest version. I checked the sysex I'd on AxeEdit to see if it matches and it is: 00 01 74. The sysex I'd on my AxeFx is different and it is: 125. How do I get these to match? I don't understand how to since they are in different number formats.

Just fyi, the midi cables I bought new. The firmware on the presonus is updated as well. Any help would be appreciated!

-Sean

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
the one drawback to the Axe FX is that it really could use a USB interface of it's own. Many MIDI devices (like my old MOTU) don't read the AFX well at all.

Get yourself a MIDI to USB cable, they're usually dirt cheap, have a USB port on one end, a MIDI in and MIDI out on the other. Most of them come with a driver disc or Windows automatically recognizes them, and it's a perfect interface for the AFX.

That's from my experience.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
My M-Audio Uno (usb to midi) had the same issues. I could use Axe-Edit happily, but occasionally I'd have to restart the machine to get it to link back up. It would work fine for ~30 minutes, lose connection, reboot, work fine, etc. Tried it on my MOTU, same thing. :scratch:

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does either of your sysex id numbers say 125? I figured it would be in the format of 00 01 25 or something.

I'm probably going to grab that midi to usb cable here soon. I'm still just curious if anyone knows more about that sysex id stuff.

Chris, did you ever have to do anything else to get it working? Restarting mine doesn't do anything. I know you sold your units recently, but did you ever get it working constantly beforehand?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I got it working, but never consistently. I'd always have to reboot the machine after about 30 minutes each time. If I changed patches too quickly, it would make it drop it's connection as well.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I use the Edirol USB-to-MIDI converter, and it generally works. The Axe is very finicky about PC connections, which is a real PITA. The M-Audio Uno never worked for me.

I've never gotten Axe Edit to work correctly, either. I only connect the AFX to my PC to update firmware, and I've always used MIDI-Ox for that. Unfortunately, the sysex format changed in more recent AFX formats, IIRC, and supposedly MIDI-Ox won't work anymore, or something. I haven't bothered to upgrade past 10.01, since it does what I need and I don't use a pedalboard.

If Cliff ever releases a next-gen AFX, he really needs to make sure that USB connectivity is built-in. I understand why he didn't include it originally, but the company and the product are both way too big for that now.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've used an M-Audio Midisport 2x2 with my Axe-Fx for almost two years now on OSX and XP, and I haven't had a single issue.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

No idea what I'm doing wrong. The firmware on my AxeFx is 10.02 and the AxeEdit software is the latest version. I checked the sysex I'd on AxeEdit to see if it matches and it is: 00 01 74. The sysex I'd on my AxeFx is different and it is: 125. How do I get these to match? I don't understand how to since they are in different number formats.
How to do this is explained on page 5 of the Axe-Edit Quickstart Guide.
http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/axe-edit_quickstart-0.9.191.pdf

·
Metal Acolyte
603 Posts
The problem is that the Sysex ID of the Axe-FX was changed with firmware release 10.03. The latest Axe-Edit release expects this new ID, which your unit does not have because it is version 10.02.

I suggest you update your Axe-FX to the latest firmware revision. You should then have no trouble getting Axe-Edit to connect.

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

^ That's not possible for me to do right now. To update the firmware I need the midi connection to work. Unless there is another way to update the firmware, I have to figure out something else to do in the meantime.

I'll check out that pdf posted above. Thanks for all the help everyone. Keep it coming.

·
Metal Acolyte
603 Posts
Actually, now that I re-read the FAS website, I see that it says that 10.02 has the new header which means your unit should already have it and be addressable by the latest verison of Axe-Edit (0.9.191).

You might also see if a general Sysex utility will connect. Their website says:

"A Sysex utility can also be used. We recommend Midi-Ox for the PC
or Snoize Sysex Librarian for the Mac."

·
Metal Acolyte
603 Posts
The other thing check are the MIDI settings of Axe-Edit. Click on the settings button and make sure that the MIDI In and Out ports are selected to be your MIDI interface. By default they aren't selected to anything at all and Axe-Edit will complain that it isn't connected to a device, with the "check MIDI I/O" hint message displayed.

Reactions: Orsusmetal

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got it working! It turns out I DIDN'T have the latest version of Axe-Edit. I had the previous verion. I guess they released a new one after I downloaded it. So that fixed part of the problem. I found out what my other issue was, which was why it wasn't working with the previous version of Axe-Edit. My firmware wasn't 10.02, it was 10.01. I swore it was 02 also because thats what I thought I saw it said when I checked last. I'm disappointed in myself on that one.

Anyways, since I had an older firmware version, the sysex ids didn't match like mentioned before in this thread. So when I downloaded the new version of Axe Edit, it allowed me to choose the old sysex id, which the old version of axe edit I had, didn't allow that option. So now that I am connected, I can update the firmware and everything. Thanks for all the help, guys!

·
Metal Acolyte
603 Posts
Glad to hear you have it up and running!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts