Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick, dirty, sloppy... just like Chris likes his men :agreed:

When playing my rig, Chris said my recto amp mod sounded too "digitech" and I took that to heart. I've been messing with it a lot the last few days and I finally came to a sound I really like that sounds very organic.

Leon will love this, the key was taking out the drive in front and replacing it with a compressor. The OD was giving me compression, but also killing my bass and giving too much high-end presence to the sound, effectively making it sound more sterile.

I also turned on the bright on for the treble control and messed around with the gain and power amp sim EQ a bit too. I'm digging the result :metal:

EDIT: uploaded a second video recorded with half/drive engaged on the 2:90:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have an axe fx and use an older model 2:ninety which doesnt have switches for the Deep and Modern modes. Does the deep and modern switch on the newer ones really make a huge difference? Does the deep add usable bass and does the modern tighten it up if its even needed that is? If you have the newer one do you engage those switches? Sounds really good.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 2:90 sounds like a good 50/50 without deep and modern on.

With deep and modern on, the 2:90 sounds like God.

The 2:90s don't have switches on them. They're all tip-to-ground 1/4" plugs, designed to be used with the Triaxis' internal switching system.

I have a simple $20 Boss latching switch I velcroed to the top of the 2:90 and I have it connected to two 1/4" plugs through a Y cable to the deep and modern jacks on the back of the 2:90. Since it's a latching switch and it's not battery powered, it's always on, so when I turn on my 2:90 it's always in Deep and Modern, which is how most people I've ever talked to run their 2:90. It just sounds epic with those two voicings on.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I have an axe fx and use an older model 2:ninety which doesnt have switches for the Deep and Modern modes. Does the deep and modern switch on the newer ones really make a huge difference? Does the deep add usable bass and does the modern tighten it up if its even needed that is? If you have the newer one do you engage those switches? Sounds really good.
FWIW I got my 2:90 back in the late '90's, and when using a Digitech 2112, I haven't really noticed much of a difference with the deep and the modern setting.

The only thing I do recommend (which so many people don't do) is to open up the volumes on the A and B to 3/4's and then use the preamp volume from there.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only thing I do recommend (which so many people don't do) is to open up the volumes on the A and B to 3/4's and then use the preamp volume from there.
You know I used to do this, and it sounded great, but when I had the Triaxis that preamp was so damn loud on it's own I never went above halfway on the 2:90 :lol:

Oh and Chris you didn't offend me at all, just told me what I needed to hear :vince:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
You know I used to do this, and it sounded great, but when I had the Triaxis that preamp was so damn loud on it's own I never went above halfway on the 2:90 :lol:

Oh and Chris you didn't offend me at all, just told me what I needed to hear :vince:
That's almost exactly what my amp actually sounds like in person, too. :yesway: I just like mine a tad brighter.

I wish my shitbag camera would take video with usable audio. :rant:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I have a simple $20 Boss latching switch I velcroed to the top of the 2:90 and I have it connected to two 1/4" plugs through a Y cable to the deep and modern jacks on the back of the 2:90. Since it's a latching switch and it's not battery powered, it's always on, so when I turn on my 2:90 it's always in Deep and Modern, which is how most people I've ever talked to run their 2:90. It just sounds epic with those two voicings on.
I will have to check this out. I was slightly underwhelmed with the deep and modern settings; I noticed a slight difference but I think all of that was counteracted by my parametric eq settings on the 2112 (or maybe all of my eq settings).

I was also running 2 2x12 cabs stereo, so I don't know if I ended up missing out on something.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
That makes a lot of sense, because when I used to throw a Lexicon Jam Man into the effects loop of the 2112, I would start to get this weird hum like I was overloading, so I would crank it down to about 12 o'clock.

·
18,790 Posts
Fuuuuuucckkk that sounds good.

You people need to quit making me want an Axe-FX :lol:

(though, ideally, that's the long-term goal for my rig, I'm just getting a poweramp/cab, or a powered monitor to use with my POD for now, then upgrading the POD when I've saved up enough for the Axe-FX)

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Sounds excellent, Vince. :yesway: I kinda laughed at the name "Vince's Recto." :lol: Does your camera have a 49 second video limit or something? Noticed that both videos were the exact same length.

Mine sounds awesome even through computer speakers. :lol:

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll have to give that a shot! Actually the "tightening up the bass" thing is exactly what I didn't like about using a tubescreamer in front. My other metal rhythm patch is based on the Triaxis and it's bassy and boomy as hell, and I love it. The recto sound just needed a tightening of the gain, no loss in the bass response. I accomplished that by turning the presence down, treble up (bright switch), and running a compressor in front.

Naren no my phone has no limit on time, that's just a coincidence! Speaking of computer speakers, I've gotten a better recorded metal sound out of the Soldano model than any of the Mesas. The mesa sounds are so much better through the speaker cab tho.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'll have to give that a shot! Actually the "tightening up the bass" thing is exactly what I didn't like about using a tubescreamer in front. My other metal rhythm patch is based on the Triaxis and it's bassy and boomy as hell, and I love it. The recto sound just needed a tightening of the gain, no loss in the bass response. I accomplished that by turning the presence down, treble up (bright switch), and running a compressor in front.

Naren no my phone has no limit on time, that's just a coincidence! Speaking of computer speakers, I've gotten a better recorded metal sound out of the Soldano model than any of the Mesas. The mesa sounds are so much better through the speaker cab tho.
well, the beauty of it is that it isn't an on/off thing. so you can dial in anything between no bass-cut to tubescreamer-like bass cut gradually, and also to respond dynamically :yesway:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts