Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
swan dive
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I've dug on my Axe Fx since I got it, but once the 8 string came into the equation, things have been a bit difficult. I'm having trouble dialing in a real ballsy, tight sound. I've got an Agile with dual Cepheus pickups for the time being, and I wanted to seek you guys' help. Scrolling through the veritable labyrinth of menus that comprise the Axe Fx can be annoying, and this whole episode has been discouraging. I've gotten zero help on the Fractal Forum, and a little bit on sevenstring. Here's the type of sound I'm going for (starting at 2:20).

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Really? I've always found it really really easy to program ballsy extreme metal tone.

This song I recorded just a few days ago (guitars come in at 0:30):

Guitar tuned down to G (so 1 step above 8-string standard tuning) with the RECTO NEW amp model, the 4x12 CALI cabinet (with an R121 Cond mic) with a tube screamer in front with a bunch of adjustments to the EQ on both the amp and the tube screamer itself.

Amp models you could try for that type of rhythm would be: RECTO NEW, PVH 5105, DAS METALL, and CA3+ LD.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
yeah actually the axe does "tight metal" pretty easily. Try the Uber or Metal, or Solo 99 LD for a quick and easy tight sound.

Want to work more at a tight sound? Experiement with compressors or drives in front of the recto, JCM 800/900, or Powerball models.

Take the USA Lead sounds or the Mark IIc+ sounds and throw a big scooped graphic EQ after it (like on a real Mark amp).

All of these methods will give you a tight as nails tone. Use the Recto cabs and R121 mic model. You'll nail a tight tone pretty quickly.

·
swan dive
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks so far dudes. The tones I had before with my 7 were pretty good, but with the introduction of the 8, those same tones sound loose and lacking. I expected this, but its been more of an uphill battle than I anticipated. Oh, and for the record, we're tuned a full step down, so EADGCFAD.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
Tips for a quick boost in tightness and clarity: turn up the dampening, turn down the sag, turn down the "amp" master volume, switch the tonestack to active, mess with the low cut frequency in the amp or overdrive.

Oh, and while the Cepheus pickups are pretty good for stocks, replacing them with something better should help, too.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Tips for a quick boost in tightness and clarity: turn up the dampening, turn down the sag, turn down the "amp" master volume, switch the tonestack to active, mess with the low cut frequency in the amp or overdrive.

Oh, and while the Cepheus pickups are pretty good for stocks, replacing them with something better should help, too.
Why do you like the active tonestack better?

·
swan dive
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yeah, I agree about the pickups for sure. I'm actually about to get another 8 with blackouts, so the br00tz will increase. I was playing with the mark iv model at practice tonight, and I feel like I made progress. I really want to pair my axe with a Mesa 2:90 or one of the old Strategy power amps.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
I'm not a fan of the active tonestack. It sounds too artificial to me. I dig using the passive EQ because it more closely approximates the actual knobs on the amps it's trying to model. Also yes turning sag down will make it tighter, but turning it up to a certain extent feels more real as well and less artificial.

Here I am using a digital preamp to try to make it sound analog :lol: I tell you though it works! :vince:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Yeah, I agree about the pickups for sure. I'm actually about to get another 8 with blackouts, so the br00tz will increase. I was playing with the mark iv model at practice tonight, and I feel like I made progress. I really want to pair my axe with a Mesa 2:90 or one of the old Strategy power amps.
:tmm:

Lay out your rig too, man. Don't you have an Orange 4x12 and some tube power amp? And what are all the settings you have running in your patch? Maybe you can do a screenshot of Axe-Edit showing your signal chain.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Kinda off topic, but is there a good place to down load other peoples patches for the AXE?
Fractal Forums surely has the largest amount of patches floating around. As Matt pointed out, they can be dicks, and some of them don't even share their patches like they're some kind of tone engineer pioneers that have a secret to hide. Still, there isn't a massive database of them anywhere. Yet.

·
swan dive
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok. If Matt got an Axe FX, I definitely have to get one. Gotta start saving.

Congrats Matt :yesway:
I've actually been using it since May, but I haven't run into any trouble until now haha. It definitely blows my 5150s away.

:tmm:

Lay out your rig too, man. Don't you have an Orange 4x12 and some tube power amp? And what are all the settings you have running in your patch? Maybe you can do a screenshot of Axe-Edit showing your signal chain.
That would be a dream rig of sorts haha. I'm using a Mesa cab and a qsc power amp. I haven't used axe edit yet cause I don't have a midi/usb interface, and my axe is at our jamroom where there is no computer. I need to get a laptop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts