Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just turned my AX8 off, then turned it back on an hour later, and suddenly all of the presets sound different. One of the bassiest tones I've ever made now sounds really trebly and a more balanced tone now sounds super bassy. Any idea what could have happened and how to fix it? I've tried turning it back off, unplugging it, turning it back on, and so on, but all of my presets have changed and I have no idea why. The EQ on the front is the same as before. I briefly looked at the global settings and everything seems normal (and it's not like I went into them before I turned the thing off either).

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
This isnt entirely helpful but I think they have backups you can roll back to, I vaguely remember having a similar problem a few years back.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This isnt entirely helpful but I think they have backups you can roll back to, I vaguely remember having a similar problem a few years back.
Any idea how to roll back to those backups? I ended up editing 2 of my presets to get them to sound like they used to (by editing the EQ in the drive pedal), but they still don't sound quite right, and being able to roll my presets back would be an awesome easy solution.

This issue is especially weird in that it's affected every single preset on my entire AX8. I see these changes as very negative for my main 3 presets, but actually helpful for some of the ones that I don't use that much (which now sound pretty awesome). The biggest change seems to be EQ (though the EQ on the board in the AX8 itself and in AX8-Edit seem unchanged), though there are a lot of weird changes such as the volume on my main clean preset going so loud that the signal would regularly distort and also made both the AX8 and my audio interface turn red (which it's never done before). Very bizarre and I have no idea how it happened.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I've never heard of this before either. I would email fractal support and see if it's any type of known issue.

If none of your settings have changed yet the tonal output has changed, I'm at a total loss.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Are you running it into your interface and then to monitors, or are monitors directly connected to it? Wondering if something changed w/the interface.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Did you run any updates on it recently Eric? I remember when I had an Axe FX years ago an update totally changed the sounds of all my presets. It was a bit frustrating.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you running it into your interface and then to monitors, or are monitors directly connected to it? Wondering if something changed w/the interface.
Nothing had changed. I had simply turned it off, left it exactly where it was for about 1 hour, came back, turned it back on, and before I even played a note, I noticed that it wasn't on the preset that it had been on when I turned it off (which was a first since buying the unit).

Afterwards, though, I tried it through two different studio monitors, through studio headphones, tried different cables (since I considered that maybe the cable had suddenly gone bad), but no change.

Did you run any updates on it recently Eric? I remember when I had an Axe FX years ago an update totally changed the sounds of all my presets. It was a bit frustrating.
There haven't been any updates since I first bought the unit and I updated the firmware then (I believe the last time Fractal updated the firmware was in September of 2018).

I also had the same experience as you with my Axe-FX Ultra, but it was nowhere near as drastic as this. Back then, all of my presets changed, but the EQ and volume were basically still the same, but certain other elements of the amps and cabs had been mildly adjusted. I remember being a little annoyed by that, but this change is about 10x more extreme than that.

Did you check individual patch settings just to see if anything is out of whack?

You could also try reloading the FW.
I did (not about the firmware, though). As far as I could tell, everything on the individual preset settings was the same, but for the more minute details (such as the "Advanced" parts for drive pedals and so on), I couldn't remember what I had changed them to be, so I couldn't tell if they had always been that way or had been changed.

I also had never gone into the Global section before, so I'm not sure what's SUPPOSED to be correct, but I used the "Reset System Parameters" option, but nothing changed at all, which would make sense considering that I had never changed any of the system parameters, but would not make sense considering the EQ and volume and so on just suddenly changed so drastically.

I'm thinking of sending a message to Fractal's support.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Sorry for the delayed reply, I think it might just be the rackmount units that have the rollback feature, I'd email fractal as you may already have done and see if theres a way you can do that.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm definitely curious as to what this could be. Please post up when you figure it out.
I e-mailed Fractal's technical support on the morning of New Year's Eve here, not expecting a response for about a week or so because of the holiday season, but got a response 12 hours later on the exact same day (the night of New Year's Eve here, probably the morning of New Year's Eve where they're located).

I've been away from my house most of yesterday and all of today, so I haven't had a chance to try their suggestions. But they said to reload the firmware and try again. If reloading the firmware doesn't fix the problem, he suggested opening up the unit, checking the cables and the screws holding the power supply in place.

I plan to check that either later tonight or first thing tomorrow morning. I'll let you know if either of those fixes the issue.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
...he suggested opening up the unit, checking the cables and the screws holding the power supply in place.

I plan to check that either later tonight or first thing tomorrow morning. I'll let you know if either of those fixes the issue.
Did you move the unit? If not, that would be really weird for it to suddenly come loose just because you turned it off/on again. Hope you get it figured out.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you move the unit? If not, that would be really weird for it to suddenly come loose just because you turned it off/on again. Hope you get it figured out.
Nope, I did not move the unit or touch anything on it. The only thing I did was turn it off, then 1 hour later turn it back on.

I will say, though, that the AX8 is insanely heavy. 14.6 pounds for just the unit itself, not including the pedal or anything else. The strap on the case I got as a "bonus" for buying it broke the very first time I tried to take it somewhere and it slammed into the ground, so I bought a replacement strap with metal fasteners since anything made from plastic was pretty much guaranteed to break from the sheer weight (and the replacement metal strap has held up so far). Everyone says these things are insanely robust, and that does seem to be the case since the sound didn't change at all after that incident some 6-7 months ago and everything worked perfectly fine up until 2 days ago where the EQ/Volume/Settings suddenly changed drastically, but I'm just mentioning the strap breaking as the only thing that's ever happened to the unit that could have affected the hardware as opposed to the software.

Also, I reloaded the firmware tonight, and that has not fixed the issue at all. I have not opened the unit yet, but I might try tomorrow. I have a feeling that won't change things, though. Even if it doesn't, it's not like the unit is no longer good. It still sounds fucking awesome. It just doesn't sound at all like it used to (both for the good and the bad, since some of the "good" presets now sound "amazing" and some of the "amazing" presets now sounds "mediocre," "okay," or just "good." Of my three favorite presets from before the sound changed, one was pretty easy to get to sound how it used to, one I've done a ton of adjustments to get it about 70% close to how it used to sound, and one is completely hopeless and I'm just about willing to give up on it since it's maybe 50-60% of the way there now and I don't even know what I can do since the pedal I used to get it to sound that way was a huge part of the sound and now sounds virtually the polar opposite of how it used to).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts