Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Latley i've been lusting after an Axe FX and poweramp setup.

i dont even really know why i've never been into modelers but the evidence ive seen suggests these actually do what they say they will do and being in a far more diverse band it seems like it would offer me a lot more options tonally.

Thats not to say my Sig X isnt cutting it i love it but i've recently been thinking of selling it and possibly my caparison and buying an axe fx.

maybe bonus time will be nice to me this year and i will be able to scrape the cash together for one without selling gear!

would this be a wise move?

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
the thing that chaps me with the axe is that you gotta drop close to 2 grand for the thing, then turn right around and drop another 500 to 1000 on a good power amp.
That's one way of looking at it. But considering that the effects in the Axe are easily in the same league as an Eventide Eclipse. Go and price one of those out and start doing the math. You're getting the quality of those effects, the preamp/amp sim, and the ability to host impulse files, all in one unit.

Or you can always watch this review.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
the thing that chaps me with the axe is that you gotta drop close to 2 grand for the thing, then turn right around and drop another 500 to 1000 on a good power amp.
when compared with things along the line of say, the bogner uberschall, fryette ultralead or diezel herbert, you're still paying less for a new axefx and power amp than you would any one of those single amps.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Thats not to say my Sig X isnt cutting it i love it but i've recently been thinking of selling it and possibly my caparison and buying an axe fx.
Is the Sig:X not doing something you need it to? Is the tone or response somehow unsatisfactory for you? Is there something missing?

If not, then selling it for an AxeFX probably doesn't make sense. If so, maybe it does.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
I got my AXEFX just a little over six months ago, since then i haven't touched any of my other amps; its really that much better.

I sold the Mesa F50 and the Peavey 3120 and still have the ENGL Invader (i think im going to sell it soon).

The AXE-FX really does every thing better, and easier; IMO there is no question about it, AXE-FX is the best studio and live rig i have tried so far.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Deizel: $4K
Axe FX Ultra: $2K
Mesa 2:90: $900(?)
Behringer MIDI controller: $200(?)

Hm.
The way i see it is this

Poweramp: ~$1000
Pro level controller: $600-1000

so its about as much as a Deizel or about $1400 more than a Mesa Roadking which is a pretty versatile amp.

and this isnt including a cab if you dont own one :2cents:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The FX are a huge part of the versatility of the unit; but right now I'm plenty happy with some two-channel amps and a Tubescreamer/DL4.

If you feel like you need the infinite tweakability the AFX offers, go for it; however if you are happy with your sound currently, it might not be such a good deal for you.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
The way i see it is this

so its about as much as a Deizel or about $1400 more than a Mesa Roadking which is a pretty versatile amp.

i used a behringer for a long time, i got mine for 100 bucks, i use a 350 dollar ground control pro right now. it's all about what you want really. Also throwing in anything about a cab is moot as you'd spend the same amount getting a cab for the diezel head.

If you want to throw in extra hypotheticals you might as well start adding an average 100 per pedal for each included in the axe as well, which will start getting ludicrous.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The way i see it is this

So what about effects then? An eventide or other axe-fx quality effects unit will run you another big lump of cash

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
My pro level controller didn't cost me $600 to $1000. It cost me $250. And I didn't spend anything on the poweramp I use :)lol:), but I won't get into that. I will say that I owned a 100 watt power amp in the states that I bought for $150 (it was from 1986, which somehow drove the price way down).

So, if you're gonna go like that, why $2000 for the Axe-FX Ultra? Depending on where you buy it, it could be $3000.

Axe-FX Ultra: $3000
Poweramp: $2000-$4000
Pro level controller: $1500-2500

:rofl:

So Axe-FX Ultra with a poweramp for $10,000?!!?!?

I just find the amount of money thrown around here in hypothesizing pretty ridiculous and unrealistic.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the input.

I like my sound with my sig x

but the midi switchability of the axe fx is quite appealing maybe i'll see what sort of cash situation in in at the end of the year and buy one and if i end up liking it more than the head i could sell the head.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
I should mention something else about Fractal Audio.

THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE FUCKING ROCKS!!! :dio:

Just had them send me a new input jack assembly. No questions asked. Sorry about the problem. Please send us your shipping address to verify. Etc. Great, great service. :yesway:

In fact. That should be their slogan.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have had a guy in my studio for the past month recording with the AxeFX and I have to say I am hella impressed. It does a great job of emulating the amps it claims to and it really does sound great. i am considering picking one up just to have in the studio for those moments when you need that one type of tone you cant get from the amps you have on hand.

I have A/B'd it with my amp collection and it does a great job of replicating those tones. Though personally the real deal still "feels" better to me. But aurally the differences are so negligible its not even worth a debate.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts