Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well me and elq have been sitting here picking each other's brains trying to figure out why my axe fx is humming. I've tried all of the outlets in my room and a few in other rooms and hallway as well. I can hear the guitar but the hum is louder and unbearable. I've plugged into a power strip that has the ground light on. The power engine isn't humming and I plugged my headphones to the axe just to see if it's a bad cable. I don't have a power conditioner or a rack case right now to see if that helps. Anybody got some ideas?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Damn dude, you can't seem to catch a break :lol:

good luck =P

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tell me about it man I was so looking forward to jamming tonight too. :(

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━&#
1,986 Posts
I suggested Daniel post this thread as there are lots of folks that use an axe-fx here, I'm stuck as to what else to try.

I only used the xlr outputs when I was using it, so it's conceivable that there is an issue in the unbalanced outputs... I honestly don't know.

I've told Daniel that I'll happily refund his money at his whim.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've told Daniel that I'll happily refund his money at his whim.
yes you have but I'm gonna figure this out and maybe I'll just have to try XLR cables since my power engine can use them.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━&#
1,986 Posts
^ :agreed: good idea

Also the firmware was quite old when I put it away, so it'll be _really_ old now. So you might want to update once the hum is fixed.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The first thing you should do is a factory reset. Any changes in the I/O could cause that.
ok I'll search the online manual and do a factory reset.

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iPhone. : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Chris is right and update firmware.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
If you were only using the XLR in, there's a chance that the main input could be set to something odd, like SPDIF. (Though it should complain about no clock if so)

I use the rear input on mine (hehe) because it's on my desk and didn't want to hang a cable across the front of it. If a reset doesn't fix it, try using the rear jack instead of the front. (You'll need to change that in I/O settings as well)

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━&#
1,986 Posts
If you were only using the XLR in, there's a chance that the main input could be set to something odd, like SPDIF. (Though it should complain about no clock if so)

I use the rear input on mine (hehe) because it's on my desk and didn't want to hang a cable across the front of it. If a reset doesn't fix it, try using the rear jack instead of the front. (You'll need to change that in I/O settings as well)
I did use the digital out for spdif before I decided that I preferred XLR through a mixer.

I also used the input in the rear :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I did use the digital out for spdif before I decided that I preferred XLR through a mixer.

I also used the input in the rear :lol:
I'm betting that's what it is. Factory reset should fix it.

Rear input is how the pros roll anyway. :jj:

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so I have the axe fx hooked up to the audio interface and the audio interface is connected to my pc but axe edit is not picking it up.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━&#
1,986 Posts
did you do the reset? I have a really odd midi config

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━&#
1,986 Posts
oh. and I seem to remember something about newer versions of axe-edit not supporting older versions of the firmware.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Ok so I have the axe fx hooked up to the audio interface and the audio interface is connected to my pc but axe edit is not picking it up.
One thing at a time man. :lol:

Did you do a factory reset? Did the humming go away?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts