1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big improvement to the modeling tech.

Release notes said:
18.00 Public Beta
This firmware incorporates all-new amp modeling algorithms. With this update the Axe-Fx II now incorporates our "G3 Amp Modeling Technology". G3 modeling improves upon G2 modeling with better touch sensitivity, better dynamics, better distortion texture (or "grain") with less fizz, more crunch and improved frequency response accuracy.

Not all amp models have been fully converted to take advantage of G3 modeling as of this beta. Those that have been fully ported are indicated by "(G3)" after the model name on the Pre page of the Amp block. Those that have not been fully ported yet will still benefit from the improved algorithms.
The Rotary block has been completely revised. It is recommended to reset the block in any existing presets by double-clicking the Bypass button to load the default values. Also, the Rotary block now supports X/Y which simplifies slow/fast switching.

This beta version does not fully support Axe-Edit so front panel editing is recommended.
Downloads:

Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.00 Public Beta

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
This should be interesting.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Dude. Fuck the fuck yes. I've been waiting for this. And I now feel like the most pretentious dick on the forum for being so excited but I'll be too busy drowning in literally endless reverb.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I upgraded, because I use 4 presets total so redoing them is really no big deal. You'll definitely need to redo your stuff again after the upgrade. According to Cliff it's basically just like getting a new Axe-Fx.

It'll be sweet when the new banks are out for it.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use one. The Vitor Mancini Marco Sfogli one. :lol:
I use:

- That same lead tone (with a little more gain)
- The Tone Match that Cliff did at my house with my 6505+
- A Mark V Preset that I think I got from you
- A clean with some delays

It's a damn good thing I have the XL. :lol:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I use:

- That same lead tone (with a little more gain)
- The Tone Match that Cliff did at my house with my 6505+
- A Mark V Preset that I think I got from you
- A clean with some delays

It's a damn good thing I have the XL. :lol:
That's pretty much how I rocked my Digitech 2112. 200 channels that could make the guitar sound like a violin or space shit, and I used one clean, one heavy distortion, and one lead tone.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
That's pretty much how I rocked my Digitech 2112. 200 channels that could make the guitar sound like a violin or space shit, and I used one clean, one heavy distortion, and one lead tone.
This is actually the main reason I still haven;t grabbed an AxeFX (well, other than cost :lol:). I use three sounds for pretty much everything, and I get them all out of the same amp. As it stands, I don't even know what to do with Ch2 on my Roadster. I'd be lost with a couple hundred models. :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Drew, you make ch2 AC/DC dirt.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
I have about a dozen patches, some obnoxious cleans for layering, dry cleans, 2-3 lead patches for different guitars, a lead patch with octave, lead patch with harmonizer, 2-3 rhythm/anything patches. And then the really wonky 'only an AxeFx can do this'-patches, for shits and giggles. I really only have so many because I'm recording right now. Live, I'll use 4-5

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I pretty much play/practice through the same AFX2 patch all the time, which is a 5153 with incredible gobs of distortion, chorus and delay. Gives me a smile every time.

It's in the reamping where the 50,000 amp and cab models come into play.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It'll be sweet when the new banks are out for it.
Oh nice, I didn't see anything about the new banks. I'm still wondering about this quote from Cliff about the XL (which I also own):

There is enough FLASH memory to store 1024 presets and 1024 user cabs but I'm reserving half the memory for future upgrades.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is actually the main reason I still haven;t grabbed an AxeFX (well, other than cost :lol:). I use three sounds for pretty much everything, and I get them all out of the same amp. As it stands, I don't even know what to do with Ch2 on my Roadster. I'd be lost with a couple hundred models. :lol:
Well, the Axe would give you DI, so you could reamp and punch in. And effects you don't have, along with some that you use in your DAW so you don't have to run around chasing freeware impulses. Etc, etc. Not to mention volume control, because as a guy who owned a Roadster, that thing does not like to be quiet. :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Drew, you make ch2 AC/DC dirt.
YOU might. I don't.

Chris - ultimately that's why I'll probably snag one as a recording rig, but for the time being it's not worth the money when I can get great mic'd sounds out of my Roadster at an acceptable volume.

One day, sure thing. :yesway: God knows I geek out reading his firmware updates. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
YOU might. I don't.

Chris - ultimately that's why I'll probably snag one as a recording rig, but for the time being it's not worth the money when I can get great mic'd sounds out of my Roadster at an acceptable volume.
You should still buy a DI box at least. :drew:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
You should still buy a DI box at least. :drew:
The Hot Plate has a DI out, and can be used silently. :yesway: I've played with it a bit using impulses - it's really not bad, and could be used silently for demoing in a pinch. It's just a matter of finding impulses I like.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Hot Plate has a DI out, and can be used silently. :yesway: I've played with it a bit using impulses - it's really not bad, and could be used silently for demoing in a pinch. It's just a matter of finding impulses I like.
No, you should buy a proper DI. So when you run album stuff by me, and I say "hey, you should try punching in here", you can actually do it instead of saying "I'll never be able to replicate the tone again". :lol: If you had a DI you could use your Roadster like a studio tool, and not a one-take-for-everything deal like you do now. The Radial stuff is cheap and works ze bomb dignity.

I had a Hot Plate. That DI sucks ass compared to the Radial.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts