Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The far better comparison would be the AxeFX direct out and a mic'ed JCM800 stack. However, it does speak volumes about the cabinet impulses, since the difference between the tracks is negligible.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
The far better comparison would be the AxeFX direct out and a mic'ed JCM800 stack. However, it does speak volumes about the cabinet impulses, since the difference between the tracks is negligible.
Yeah, I agree. That'd be way cooler, and I'm sure the AFXII would still do really well. As such, hearing an AFXII through speakers and then through the impulse is only telling part of the story.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The problem is you could line up ten JCM800s, and they would all sound completely different. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
You know I meant the best sounding one. That one. You know.
In a way, that is the true payoff of modeling: you can find the absolute best example of a particular amp, or even several best examples, and create the ultimate model that anyone can use. I don't think it is quite there yet, but Fractal is certainly within ten yards of goal at this point. All the demos I am hearing sound really good. I usually cannot tell the difference in a blind audio test. I'll reserve judgement until I play a AE2, but where I typically notice is the play test. Modelers feel stiff to me.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
In a way, that is the true payoff of modeling: you can find the absolute best example of a particular amp, or even several best examples, and create the ultimate model that anyone can use. I don't think it is quite there yet, but Fractal is certainly within ten yards of goal at this point. All the demos I am hearing sound really good. I usually cannot tell the difference in a blind audio test. I'll reserve judgement until I play a AE2, but where I typically notice is the play test. Modelers feel stiff to me.
Presumably that's always the goal for Line 6 and FAS: to find the finest specimens of the amp. It would be disappointing for them to find a particularly lame JCM800, think that that's the representative model, and go for that. :lol:

Then again, Line 6 did model the damn Powerball instead of the Savage 120, the latter of which is the ONLY Engl that doesn't sound like a European Peavey.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Hell, for the longest time, the Line6 Recto model was a Tremoverb. Come on, really? Point. Missed. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Hell, for the longest time, the Line6 Recto model was a Tremoverb. Come on, really? Point. Missed. :lol:
That explains a lot!

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
That explains a lot!
Yep. Until the amp packs came out on the XT line, it was the only Recto model available. :facepalm:

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The POD/Flextone 2 had a Triple Rect (that was the Rectified 2) and I think a Mark or something, of course, neither sounded anything like the real thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts