Metal Guitarist Forums banner
32K views 300 replies 57 participants last post by  79 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Knew it was bound to come eventually... It'll be interesting to see what becomes of this.

Even knowing the power of the previous generation Ultra, it's still a kick to have something new come out so (relatively) soon after finally shelling out for last one. C'est la vie, I suppose.

#13 ·
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Linux armv7l; rv:2.1) Gecko/20110318 Firefox/4.0b13pre Fennec/4.0)

Still no effects only unit. :/

#23 ·
Cliff explained (scratched the surface, really) of how much work went into this:

First we created our new Virtual Vacuum Tube™ technology. VVT™ is a complete departure from the static waveshaping technology used by other products. It is a digital replica of a vacuum tube complete with time, frequency and level dependencies. Just like a real vacuum tube, our digital replica is truly dynamic and changes with your playing. This creates a level of realism, complexity and response that other products just can't match.
It's insane. The good news for me is that I'm happy with my Ultra (happy enough to buy one, knowing that this was on the way in two weeks). The boutique guys, and the guys that are really big into tweaking their modelers are going to go batshit insane over it though. Cliff is one smart motherfucker. :lol:

#25 ·
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

On the one hand, this makes me wish I hadn't just bought Chris's old POD HD500, and instead waited to see what this does to the used market on Ultras, but at the same time, makes me want one of these soooooo fucking bad :lol:

I mean, maybe I'm wrong here, but this sounds like it has the potential to allow combining tube types with amps that are not possible in real life, or building virtual amps from the ground up. I'm not saying these features are available yet, but the technology is there. Imagine being able to "build" a virtual amp to see how it sounds before constructing a hardware version.

#27 ·
:agreed:

High gain whores like me may not take full advantage of it, but studio guys just found their must-have piece of gear.

USB is fucking awesome too, if I end up moving up to it, that'll be the biggest reason why. It's a pain in the balls to have to unplug my computer every time I want to plug in my MIDI footswitch.

#32 ·
This actually has me a bit curious, which is saying something considering I'm typing this about seven feet from a Mesa Roadster that still never ceases to amaze me.

#34 ·
When I first read this, I was like, "fuuuuuuck!" But then, I realized that I don't use close to what the full power that my standard offers me, so I probably won't even need the extra stuff the axe 2 offers.

I still want one though. :lol: The headphone jack and USB would be awesome to have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.