Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a hard time doing a tricky bit of routing - I'm using a formant filter, but when I do, I want to heavily EQ the sound as well.

Currently my routing looks something like this:

CAB---------------------OUT
......\----FRM--GEQ--/

When the FRM block is bypassed, the output it muted... good. But when it's engaged, I get double the output because both threads are active. If I reduce the mix of the FRM or GEQ block until there's little audible volume change, it's only 50% wet and I want 100% wet.

So basically I want something like this, where the {X} area is a gate or something - I can route the signal through the FRM, or straight to the output, but not a mix of both.

CAB--{X}-------------------OUT
............\----FRM--GEQ--/

I've been dinking with the Effects Loop, Feedback Send/Return, Mixer, Gate... I'm at a loss.

Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I assume you want to avoid doing it as 2 separate patches?

(note: I haven't gotten into the formant filter on my axe fx yet, so excuse me if I'm missing what you're attempting here)

·
Registered
154 Posts
It actually would have been kind of nifty if they'd made connections bypassable. I also don't have a control yet, so I haven't gotten into what can be done with midi, can you tie something into the activation of the filter to also mute the other line?

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You mean have a program change command affect two blocks simultaneously? Haven't figured that out. I do have one wacky idea involving a gate but it's going to be annoying to optimize. Basically have the formant output slam the gate closed on the line above it, but then have a second output from the formant going just after that gate to send the formant signal 100% wet to the output.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a way to toggle between say Line 2 and Line 3 in the internal mixer? I could run the formant output to one and the regular output to the other, and toggle between which one is actually mixed and sent to the physical outputs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Could you tie both a volume block and the formant filter to an expression pedal so that you could fade the volume of line one out and bring the volume of line 2 in at the same time?

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
You'd think this would be easy to implement. You might be able to do this with some creative use of panning. Add a flat EQ or something else that won't change the sound or take up much power to the "bypass" row and pan it 100% left. Pan the signal from the formant 100% right. At the block where the signals merge again, the left channel will be the "bypassed" signal, and the right channel will have your formant and EQ. Put another flat EQ (or whatever) in or after the block with the merged signals. Set a switch to toggle the stereo balance of that block between 100% left and 100% right. If your rig is mono, you're done. If it's stereo, you'll have to figure out how to center it again. Either way, though, it's a little convoluted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts