Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wirelessly posted

I have a feeling I know the answer to this but I'm gonna ask anyways...I have an hd500 I'm currently using, but my buddy just offered me to buy his axe-fx ultra. I haven't talked pricing or anything like that yet but I want to know is it worth it? Should I do it? Of course part of me says "well you're just gonna want the axe-fx II" and I'm sure it sounds better but I shouldn't let that degrade what the ultra has. Anyways I don't know whether to keep the hd500 or go for the ultra

·
Read Only
10 Posts
The Ultra might be the "old" Axe-Fx, but it destroys the HD500 man. It's still a great sounding piece of kit.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
:agreed:

Tubes > AxeFX > All other modelers

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Yeah, the POD HD stuff hasn't improved any since the AxeFX Ultra days, so the Ultra is still a good deal. I guess it depends on how much though. If he wants north of $1500 I'd tell him no.

EDIT

By the looks of Evilbay, they're going for $1100-$1300 used. I'd go for it.

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
:agreed:

Tubes > AxeFX > All other modelers
I agree with Leon on this one I love my AxeFX but I for me it's just missing something that only tubes can provide. If a modeller is the only option go with the Axe mind blowing unit for sure.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Opinions of people who've actually owned an Axe-Fx > Opinions of people who refuse to even play through one when they have the opportunity. :lol:
Leon refused to play one? Stubborn, is he. Opinionated in his views, he is. :yoda:

·
Creeping in your sheets
222 Posts
I agree with Leon on this one I love my AxeFX but I for me it's just missing something that only tubes can provide. If a modeller is the only option go with the Axe mind blowing unit for sure.
I also agree. I just recently went back to tubes + torpedo live, Couldn't be happier. I also own a AFX ultra and AFX II, while they are both very good at what they do. To me, they still lacked tube "mojo".

I personally wouldn't pay more then 1100-1200 for an ultra.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Honestly, I just didn't know how to work it :naren:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Honestly, I just didn't know how to work it :naren:
Leon is the high priest of science but can't turn on an Axe Fx. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
:lol: They're just as easy to operate out of the box as your standard amp (assuming you aren't programming new presets, which you certainly wouldn't be doing if you were just trying it out), so I find Leon's claim a little far-fetched. :lol:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, POD HD500 isn't even close to Axe FX Ultra IMO. BUT! If you get a good deal of the Ultra and buy it. You could consider using HD500 as your midi controller for axe fx and it works as a back up gear the same time.

That's what i do and it works great for me. I've made a tutorial how to make it work with AFXII. I guess that Ultra has pretty much the same midi commands as II.

Here is a link to my tutorial if you'll some day need it:
POD HD500: Control Presets, Scenes and Looper

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Bang for your buck you can't beat the HD500 since you can get it for a few hundred bucks. The Axe FX will easily blow it away however as it has more models, more effects, and the effects are all in the TC Electronic / Eventide category of quality. Pound for pound, the HD500 loses to the Axe FX in tone, substance, and basically everything, except for price.

Having said that, I find it easier to get a direct sound really fast with the HD500 than I did with the Axe FX. The Axe FX blows the doors off the HD500, but both are really good, fun units.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
^100% agree with Vince.

I've owned both the Axe-FX Ultra and the HD500 and the Axe-FX Ultra blows away the HD500 by a long long long long long shot.

But the Axe-FX Ultra (at least when I bought it) cost 5x more than the HD500. So there's that.

The reason I have an HD500 right now and don't have an Axe-FX Ultra (or Axe-FX II) is because at the moment I can't justify spending that kind of money when I'm not in a band anymore. :shrug: Otherwise, I'd probably get one again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey hey hey HEY!! Now wait a second Naren and think what you're saying. You don't need to be in a band to justify, that you can enjoy and have a great peace of gear. But, i still understand what you mean.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Hey hey hey HEY!! Now wait a second Naren and think what you're saying. You don't need to be in a band to justify, that you can enjoy and have a great peace of gear. But, i still understand what you mean.
I was just saying my own personal reason why I don't have an Axe-FX anymore. I certainly wasn't saying "No one should own an Axe-FX unless they're in a band." (For one thing, our administrator, Chris, has an Axe-FX II and he's not in a band).

And I definitely don't see myself buying another Ax-FX unless I join another band. :shrug: And I don't even see myself buying an Axe-FX if I only join a casual band (or five).

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I was just saying my own personal reason why I don't have an Axe-FX anymore. I certainly wasn't saying "No one should own an Axe-FX unless they're in a band." (For one thing, our administrator, Chris, has an Axe-FX II and he's not in a band).

And I definitely don't see myself buying another Ax-FX unless I join another band. :shrug: And I don't even see myself buying an Axe-FX if I only join a casual band (or five).
Chris has like a baker's dozen of them, one in each room.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts