Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I found this video on youtube and personally I feel the axe fx has a better quality tone and much more clarity than the HD300. What do you guys think?

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Honestly?

I didnt like one simple tone in that vid, they were all too gainy for my taste.

but in the shootout: the Recti i like better on the POD, Überschall better on the Axe, both Engl sounds are "meh", but the Powerball/Axe-model i'd take over the Fireball/POD.

Quality-wise - based on that vid, i would not take one over the other, while the ground-character is different on both, the real QUALITY-difference is not hearable if you ask me.

That can - and i dont only bet, i also hope - be comepletely differnt when you play the, side by side. Which i will do in a few weeks/months..

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
It's that FearedSE guy again, doesn't he always use a lot of post production? Give me pure tones without the post production and I'll give you my verdict.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Yeah, I recognize the riffing in the comparison. Definitely was posted here already and again, too much post production.

Lemme take a pic with two cameras, clean them both up in photoshop, then post them on the web for people to determine which camera to buy...

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Superman baby for the win. :tmm:

I might have said this earlier, but I think there is one advantage to the mess of "post-production" laid down on Ola Englund's videos: in theory, he's letting you know what the "polished" products can sound like and comparing THOSE directly. Obviously it's a bit like Sami said, it ruins the basic comparison, and there are of course dozens of very different ways you could treat any of these guitar tones in a studio with various compressors and equalizers at your fingertips -- but I still think his comparisons are interesting.

I'd like to see him do "raw" and "polished" clips with his "signature blend" of EQ/compression/whatever side-by-side.

Chris: One problem is I'm not convinced that it's the same post-production. He's never made such a claim. I think he does have a specific tone that he chases, but he surely had to mess with these amps in different fashions to get there.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
whats it matter if its the same post production? i think its the simple fact that the little crappy pod can hold its own against a 2000 dollar unit. the axe is better, but in this clip it doesnt sound THAT much better.
But i think the fact that you can doctor up the pods tone to be as good(almost) as the axe fx is a testament of how good the pod can be for so little money and that you dont REALLY need a 2k processor.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
7SoH: It matters because I don't record much, and I'd prefer to hear the "live tone" of the unit.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
YouTube - Line 6 Pod HD vs. Fractal Axe FX - Metal shootout

I found this video on youtube and personally I feel the axe fx has a better quality tone and much more clarity than the HD300. What do you guys think?
I think.. This video was already posted. :lol:
Yup, the video was already posted. And I prefer the POD in nearly all the clips. The AFX is very muffled in many of them. I've also heard many clips of lower gain stuff (where I tend to sit) and the POD's amazing.

That being said, clearly we've all heard amazing AFX clips too. They're both great devices that take some dialing in. It is amazing a $400 box can compete with a $2000 box though.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Judging by that video only, I definitely prefer the POD. The Axe-Fx sounds noisy to my ears in this comparison.

·
Registered
371 Posts
In my opinion, comparisons between these 2 units is like comparing apples and oranges. There are simply tons of things you can do with the Axe Fx that the POD can't even touch. Can you make one sound like other, absolutey. Will a POD sound good if you know how to dial it in, definitely. But the features, depth of tweaking, and effects will blow the POD out of the water every time.

Don't get me wrong. I love POD's. One of my favorite rigs I played through for live use was a POD XT Live into a Mesa 2:90 into a Rectifier 4X12. It sounded great was quick to setup and easy to program. But the fact remains that the Axe Fx has a lot of things that a POD won't have and will be able to achieve certain tones that a POD won't be able to due the larger number of amp sims and additional depth of programming.

They are different units aimed at different markets.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I went with the Pod HD due to price a lone compared to the Axe Fx. I say it really depends on what you want to do. For live setups I would Axe-Fx for everyday jam sessions at home I would rather spend $500 instead of $1500-$1700 on Axe-Fx. But if you got the money to blow then I would go with the Axe-Fx.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Judging by that video only, I definitely prefer the POD. The Axe-Fx sounds noisy to my ears in this comparison.
Some of that could be due to the AFX only having analog outputs, and having to do another round of analog-to-digital conversion as it's being recorded. If he doesn't have good preamps or a good board, that could be colouring the sound as well, whereas the POD has direct USB out.

Did he say specifically how the two were recorded?

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Some of that could be due to the AFX only having analog outputs
;)

That being shown, we still don't know what he did, and most people do use it in analog mode for, I assume, ease of use. It only outputs at 24-bit/48 kHz which can cause issues with some people's recording setups.

The unit does have very high quality D/A converters, and I've seen it posted in the Fractal forums that there is no significant noise or clarity improvement going one way or the other (though I'd generally take comments like that with a grain of salt without good audio clips to prove it).

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Oops! I stand corrected!

The AFX may have excellent converters, but whatever recording interface was used may not.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Honestly?

I didnt like one simple tone in that vid, they were all too gainy for my taste.
Exactly my problem with it. Honestly, all of the modelers have always been able to do the too much gain sound, since complete saturation blurs the differences between guitars, amps, tubes, pedals, etc. Modelers get that much gain with compression, while tube amps generate that compression through five (or more) preamp tube gain stages. The weakest part of every modeler that I've spent any amount of time with has been the mid gain stuff, so that is the comparison that most piques me interest.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
The AFX may have excellent converters, but whatever recording interface was used may not.
Ah, this is true. Those comments could very well have been made regarding a high-end interface.

The thing that annoys me most about this video is all I want to do is grab that Axe-Fx patch and either make the boost more aggressive or add some post-EQ treble or something. The patches dialed simply aren't as bright as the POD patches, which frankly makes it sound a bit weak or fuzzy or something by comparison. Just a psychoacoustic effect. :shrug:

I still want to try an HD500. :agreed:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
In my opinion, comparisons between these 2 units is like comparing apples and oranges. There are simply tons of things you can do with the Axe Fx that the POD can't even touch. Can you make one sound like other, absolutey. Will a POD sound good if you know how to dial it in, definitely. But the features, depth of tweaking, and effects will blow the POD out of the water every time.

Don't get me wrong. I love POD's. One of my favorite rigs I played through for live use was a POD XT Live into a Mesa 2:90 into a Rectifier 4X12. It sounded great was quick to setup and easy to program. But the fact remains that the Axe Fx has a lot of things that a POD won't have and will be able to achieve certain tones that a POD won't be able to due the larger number of amp sims and additional depth of programming.

They are different units aimed at different markets.
Well yeah it is apples and oranges, because there's a $1500 difference in price. But when you're looking at like for like amps, which is something many people only need, it's impressive what has been done. Not everyone needs the whacky shit the AFX does, and the GUI editor for the POD is great.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Well yeah it is apples and oranges, because there's a $1500 difference in price. But when you're looking at like for like amps, which is something many people only need, it's impressive what has been done. Not everyone needs the whacky shit the AFX does, and the GUI editor for the POD is great.
See I like the Axe FX for the fact I have all the amps I ever wanted to buy. For $2k, I now have a Triaxis, Rectifier, Powerball, 5150, Orange, Soldano, Mark I, Jazzchorus, and JCM800. And they all sound authentic when played through my amp and cab.

It's a little tricky getting them to sound right direct line-in, but that's to be expected. The amp models sound absolutely incredible and spot on when I run them through my amp and cab though, and being a tube guy, it's a pretty incredible feat.

If the Axe FX had a USB out it'd be perfect. As it is it's already amazing.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts