Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My life is over. Damn you, Rogueleader! :scream::scream::scream:

:lol: Been playing the last couple nights - it's really kind of impressive just how good a game this was, considering it came out in 2000. The graphics don't even really bug me, but to be fair the last thing I played was Minecraft. :D

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
:lol:

How far are you? Who's in your party?

I'm of the opinion that what BG II lacks with dated graphics, it makes up for with outstanding art direction. Certainly better than the vast majority of modern games in that regard.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The comicbook-style intro montage was pretty damned well done.

Not too far, I restarted with a Fighter class because I didn't want to try to play through it again as a druid (as I did when I first played the game years ago) so I've broken out of the dungeon and then did the circus tent quest (though, I want to replay it because I accidentally killed off that elf-girl's friend using a cloudkill spell - didn't know it effected ALL people, foe or friend). I'll be playing a bit fuirther tonight though. :D

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The comicbook-style intro montage was pretty damned well done.

Not too far, I restarted with a Fighter class because I didn't want to try to play through it again as a druid (as I did when I first played the game years ago) so I've broken out of the dungeon and then did the circus tent quest (though, I want to replay it because I accidentally killed off that elf-girl's friend using a cloudkill spell - didn't know it effected ALL people, foe or friend). I'll be playing a bit fuirther tonight though. :D
Just go to a cleric and get her resurrected :metal: Cloudkill is awesome though.

Also, you better damn well keep Minsc! One of the greatest computer game characters ever :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Minsc > most.

I seem to recall some hot chick you have the opportunity to fall in love with. I did her nasty all over the place. Worked out, wasn't she a top-notch rogue or thief?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
You can romance a couple characters. Jaheria/Aeries/Viconia are the options I remember. Viconia is totally the best though. She is the evil dark elf cleric.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Dude, Baldur's Gate II >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Oblivion.

And Oblivion is a great game.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Vita, mortiis, khaaaaaariooooo...

Also, I always loved how everyone in the game could learn Dimension Door except you, the 28th-level wizard half-god capable of leveling towns.

·
Dr. Mrs. The Monarch
1,306 Posts
Mmm, Baldur's Gate!

But you know what was even better?

Yeah, Planescape was simply one of the greatest games ever made, the storyline is outstanding, the whole world(s) and setting, beyond amazing. I cannot overstate how good it was, and the voice acting was top notch too.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Torment was excellent, and very unique for that kind of game. BGII was better technically, but Torment had a great premise and awesome story. I never finished Torment; one of these days I should go back and try it.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Mmm, Baldur's Gate!

But you know what was even better?

Yeah, Planescape was simply one of the greatest games ever made, the storyline is outstanding, the whole world(s) and setting, beyond amazing. I cannot overstate how good it was, and the voice acting was top notch too.
Torment shits all over Baldur's Gate II, and Baldur's Gate II was an awesome game.

I've beaten Torment 3 times and the last time I played it was actually just last month. :lol: That game RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULES.

The Planescape world in Torment is probably the #1 best gaming world/universe in the history of gaming.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I wouldn't say one is better than the other. They are very different games. BGII a little more conventional plot wise and planescape is a little more umm esoteric. Both awesome though, I don't believe theres any reason to really compare the two :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The Planescape world in Torment is probably the #1 best gaming world/universe in the history of gaming.
D&D fanboy quibble :lol: : Technically they are the same world. Sigil just connects all the planes :fawk: Whereas BGII takes place mainly on the prime material.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
D&D fanboy quibble :lol: : Technically they are the same world. Sigil just connects all the planes :fawk: Whereas BGII takes place mainly on the prime material.
Well, technically BG2 falls into the same multiverse as PS:T, but Planescape is all about doors/gates and travelling from universe to universe (or as they say "plane" to "plane"). And I find the way that world is layed out a lot more interesting than Forgotten Realms.

I mean, Torment's universe is unlike any other I've ever seen.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I mean, Torment's universe is unlike any other I've ever seen.
It's definitely unlike anything else, and it is an amazing game with a well thought out storyline and interesting characters.

But overall, I think BG2 beats it by a considerable margin. While it may not match Torment in terms of writing, storyline and characters, it's damn close, and it's slightly more open and less linear, which contributes to a more enjoyable gaming experience for me. Also, I find BG2's setting much more appealing, but I realize this is very subjective. I prefer the art direction, too - I think it's superb and mostly uncompromising - but it may have a lot to do with the different setting. :)

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, I'm being out-nerded. :lol:

Re-beat the circus tent without killing of Quayle, which earned me nothing but a touching goodbye between Quayle and whats-her-name. A-someone. Oh well, it was fun, and I still have the Cloudkill wand to fall back on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts