Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick Q for you guys. I just got my quote back from Dylan, and everything is sounding awesome! However, he has expressed some concern over the use of an OFR and a 27" scale in standard tuning. I generally use 10-59 D'addarios in B, or dropped A (I use a 62 for the A), and he is concerned that these factors will result in alot of string breakage. Can any of you guys factor in on this? I don't want to have a guitar that is forever breaking strings :lol: To be fair, I won't use the OFR alot anyways, but I'd rather have and not need than need and not have.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
that's nonsense.

all the floyd equipped baritone 7s i've had can take all the same abuse as a standard scale guitar without breaking strings

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Neither of my KxK's with OFR's (both 27" scale) have ever had string breakage issues.

Using the same set of D'addarios as you mentioned (10-59). Had them tuned to B, Bb, A, drop-G. Pretty much whatever tuning I wanted to use. Zero problems.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I also have a KxK with 27" scale and an OFR, no issues here, and I've been known to abuse my strings like they owe me money.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Is this just an intuitive fear of his, or does he have some personal experience with his designs such that this is an issue? Either way I'd like to hear his exact concern.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this just an intuitive fear of his, or does he have some personal experience with his designs such that this is an issue? Either way I'd like to hear his exact concern.
I'm not sure to be fair. I haven't responded yet, as he now has me thinking about the whole bridge idea now :lol: I'm like 99% positive I want the OFR7, but the voice in my head is saying to go with a Hipshot to lose some overall weight in the guitar (I have an old man back).

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
The only thing I can think that he might be worried about is the increased tension on the 27", plus massive raises on the trem. It would be more stress on the strings than normal.

Get decent strings, like kerly sinisters or newtones, that break very, very rarely and drop the gauge a bit (it is a baritone after all): if the tensions the same, the problems gone. (if it was there to begin with, but theres nothing stopping you speccing the guitar with 8-56 or something, making dylan shutup, then changing it later, or just tell him thats what you want to do; he's making your guitar).

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
The only thing I can think that he might be worried about is the increased tension on the 27", plus massive raises on the trem. It would be more stress on the strings than normal.

Get decent strings, like kerly sinisters or newtones, that break very, very rarely and drop the gauge a bit (it is a baritone after all): if the tensions the same, the problems gone. (if it was there to begin with, but theres nothing stopping you speccing the guitar with 8-56 or something, making dylan shutup, then changing it later, or just tell him thats what you want to do; he's making your guitar).
Why go that far? I used to use 11-70 tuned B standard on a 25.5" scale guitar with a trem, and I'd fuck around with the trem, and never once had a breakage. No need to get fancy strings, just plain old D'addarios or Elixirs.

Don't worry about it at all dude. You will be fine. I'd be really curious to know why he thinks that as well.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I had no problems with my RG2077XL. I didn't abuse the trem too much, but used it from time to time. I used a 10-60 set in standard tuning.

Edit: it wasn't an OFR though, but I don't see why it would be any different

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Nah, its bullshit. Get an OFR if you want one. :yesway:

59 in B on a 25.5" scale is like adding 13-14lbs to the over all guitar. You'll get more tension than that by switching to a heavier 6 string gauge. I dont know what he means by "All the extra tension".

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Concerns over string tension are often over-blown. I can't count the number of times i've seen people asking if putting heavy-gauge strings on their guitar or tuning down to F# will ruin the neck.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
My black KXK was 27" scale strung with 10-59 D'Addario's without problems at all. Can't see it being an issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts