Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've recently become aware of these and I was wondering if anyone has had much experience with them. They make a high gain bridge, the PBF-77D, two Jazz types(PBF-57 and 55, bridge and neck), and also two vintage(PBF-51 and 49). The 77D might be cool with the PBF-55, but I don't know if that is balanced, ie. high output with a medium output jazz-type, or if it would be just right. I'm looking for some replacements for my V7 and V8 pieces of shit stock Ibanez pickups and wondered if Bartolini was a good choice for a mahogany body guitar. I'm pretty lost and the internets has little to no information about these pickups :eek:

·
18,790 Posts
I believe Mike Mushok of Staind had a couple of soapbar style Bartolinis in one of his LACS Radius-shaped baritones back in his pre-signature-model days. I would guess that was a mahogany body like all his others, and it sounded pretty sweet. Their bass pickups are pretty fantastic.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have a set in my Mayones (PBF-51 in the bridge and PBF-57 in the neck). My Mayones has a mahogany body with maple top. Sounds great for rock and blues. Will do metal and jazz too.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

How do you like that mayones?

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking if the PBF-77D and the PBF-55 pickups. High gain bridge with the Jazz neck. Does that sound pretty feasible or completely unbalanced? In terms of no mid-range, too much low end/high end, etc. Thanks again guys.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I have no information to offer about their non-bass pickups, but I appreciate that you spelled it properly: "Bartolini" not "Bartoloni" like everyone else on the internet seems to. :lol:

Oh, and apparently Criss Oliva from Savatage had a humbucker and single coil from them on at least one of his Charvels.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I was thinking if the PBF-77D and the PBF-55 pickups. High gain bridge with the Jazz neck. Does that sound pretty feasible or completely unbalanced? In terms of no mid-range, too much low end/high end, etc. Thanks again guys.
The PBF-51 would probably balance better with the PBF-77.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The PBF-51 would probably balance better with the PBF-77.
How so? In terms of a more rock/metal sound? I like my clean tone to be very clear and bell-like in crispness. I dunno if that is more of a jazz or rock sound I guess because I've always associated bell-like with jazz. You tell me though, you actually have the darn things :D

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I may or may not be sold. Could you post a video of your pickups or show me where I can hear these darn things? I could find next to nothing on youtube for Bartolini guitar pup videos.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would love that man! It's between these, A liquifire neck with a steve's special bridge, or some BKP Painkillers.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'll record some clips this week. My buddy works at Bartolini. So if you do decide to get a set, I can get you a discount.

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
I remember Frank Falbo raving about these for guitar back in the day on Jemsite. I don't remember exactly what he said, but there were lots of superlatives. If you could find him he might offer his opinion on the relative balance of the two pickups you mention.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm liking the look of the PBF-77D in the bridge and the PBF-57 in the neck. Still need to hear them :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts