Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who gig as bassists, what would you say would be the minimum wattage needed to keep up in a guitar/bass/drums/keys lineup playing normal pub-sized venues?

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
something along the lines of 200-250W, my old warwick sweet 15 is 150W and could barely keep up in a trio.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Mark Bass. Those amps weigh nothing and move a ton of air.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Mark Bass. Those amps weigh nothing and move a ton of air.
They also sound rather boring :lol:

If you just need to carry a stage and can lean on the PA, the TC Electronic BG250 combo is a great portable rig.

Otherwise, you probably want 300-500w into a 2x12 or 4x10 to have a hope of carrying a larger room. You can do it with less, certainly, but it's not guaranteed.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
You could look at a Hartke HyDrive 210; 250 watts and fairly loud. It really all depends on how much money you want to spend I think. Questions that start off in that, "What's the least I can get away with" vein always come down to money eventually :) Genz and Markbass do make great sounding small, light amp heads, but they aren't exactly what I would call cheap. I got my Hydrive combo for $395 shipped off of eBay. A Carvin 4x10 combo might do as well and be both loud and relatively inexpensive.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys, that's massively helpful!:)

I don't need anything fancy really... I just something loud and clean-sounding that's relatively easy to haul around.

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
I like a lot of the smaller GK stuff, sound great and are pretty darn affordable, and the Hartke isn't a bad option either.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

The GK MB210 or MB212 are cheap, loud, and light. Sound reasonably good, although the 210 is a little boomy.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
The GK MB212 is a great sounding amp, and 500 watts as well. I think they've been discontinued but they should be around used. Nice amps :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts