Metalguitarist.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: I'm not a bass player, I'm a bass hack, lol! The down side to living in the middle of nowhere is that there are no other musicians around here that are into what I'm into(unless I want to do a country or bluegrass project) so I'm just doing my thing. Thanks to EZDrummer I've got decent drum sounds, with the Kemper I've got decent guitar tones, but the bass tones I'm coming up with are fucking terrible, lol!

Programming bass parts with EZBass, etc is something that I have difficulty wrapping my head around so I'm on the hunt for plugins or Kemper profiles for bass. I'm currently trying out the trial versions of the Neural stuff and while it's definitely an improvement over what I came up with using the free plugins, I'd rather find Kemper profiles, set up a performance bank and run. Most of what I do is dirty nasty, grindy heaviness, with occasional death and thrash. TIA!

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
If you want dirty nasty bass tones on the Kemper, get the STL tones Will Putney bass pack. It's got everything from distorted grind to Hardcore clean, everything is well balanced with solid low end.

I used to do the split three track thing, got some really great results with it especially in pinning down the low end of the clean DI, but after I got this pack I don't bother anymore as it's wasted effort. This is good enough to record one track and you're done.

·
Administrator
Guitars.
39,783 Posts
If you want dirty nasty bass tones on the Kemper, get the STL tones Will Putney bass pack. It's got everything from distorted grind to Hardcore clean, everything is well balanced with solid low end.
:hesright:

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
I was there about 6 or 7 years ago and found this, which turned into my addiction to Ola vids.

·
Super Moderator
23,430 Posts
I'm in a similar boat, though smack dab in the third largest metro area in the USA, so I don't have many excuses for not being able to find people to jam with :lol:

But, pandemic and all... I grabbed Superior Drummer 3 to cover that, and worked on some bass presets on my AxeFx 2XL, and settled on one that is a biamp of an SVT and JCM800. I found the key was to compress after the SVT, and to use a bass cab on the JCM800, instead of a guitar cab.

https://soundcloud.com/wildealien%2F201117-01a%2Fs-B8A5Wp8VmXc

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Truth! I snagged it this afternoon and it's awesome! So many killer profiles it's option overload, lol!

I've been doing the 2 track like in Ola's vid but just not getting what I'm looking for. I'm also trying out the trial versions of the Neural DSP Parallax and Darkglass Ultra, pretty cool stuff there as well.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in a similar boat, though smack dab in the third largest metro area in the USA, so I don't have many excuses for not being able to find people to jam with :lol:

But, pandemic and all... I grabbed Superior Drummer 3 to cover that, and worked on some bass presets on my AxeFx 2XL, and settled on one that is a biamp of an SVT and JCM800. I found the key was to compress after the SVT, and to use a bass cab on the JCM800, instead of a guitar cab.

That sounds killer man!:metal:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,768 Posts
Less help to the OP, but for anyone looking for a big, thick, fat bass tone with maybe a touch of grit, but well short of actual distortion...

I've been doing this mostly with hardware, slamming the front end of a BAE 1073MP, but the best bass tones I've gotten ltely for "rock" stuff have not been doing the Ola-approved bi-amp thing, but rather just running straight into the front end of a Neve-style preamp run HOT. If you already have a good emulation, so much the better - if not, I've been using the fuck out of the Sonimus Burnley73 EQ on pretty much everything I mix lately, in part because it really is a great broad "shaping" EQ, and in part because the saturation control is excellent.I'd have no problem at all recording a clean DI bass and running it through an instance of this with the gain pretty far up to form the core of a bass tone, and then just carefully going at it with a bit of compression.

·
Change Everything
8,913 Posts

So crunchy and evil and thiccc :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
23,430 Posts
So crunchy and evil and thiccc :yesway:
:D

Whatever you do, don't bother with "The Bass Guitar" facebook group. I jumped in to ask a question about preamps and poweramps, and all I got was garbage, flack, and derision. And not the heart-filled tongue-in-cheek derision we throw around here :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,922 Posts
I typically use Neural Parallax for my metal bass tones and Kuassa Cerberus for other genres.

Drew is right, for sure, that a bass straight into the DAW through console emulation (which is really just a preamp, after all) can get you a long ways for cleaner tones. Heck one of the Waves SSL strips will have all the EQ and compression you need right there, in addition to the drive from the preamp emulation.

Don't forget that a good part of bass tone in any genre is the bass itself. Fresh strings always, and the proper pickup blend if you have a P/J setup. For metal, I tend to favor about 60-70% neck pickup and 30-40% bridge pickup. Also, remember that the more even dynamics you can get from your picking technique, the less compression you'll need in the DAW signal chain and the more your bass part will shine. There's no getting around being able to play the part well if you want a good tone. For heavily distorted tones, playing with a pick will probably sound better (thinking Tool levels of distortion).

·
Super Moderator
23,430 Posts
Playing bass with fingers takes skill. And for us guitar players, I don't think it's a skill many of us have :lol:

I use a 0.73 mm Tortex Flow pick. As my dad says, a thin pick is your first line of compression :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts