Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Two Bass Tones Enter. One Bass Tone Leaves.

• Hammer of the North

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Nolly of the Gods

Votes: 14 58.3%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Gonna have to give Nolly the nod on this one. His bass tones are so punchy and growly, and they always sit perfectly in the mix.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
This is actually tough. I saw the Grand Magus video and figured it'd be a shoe-in, but then I kept scrolling, and Nolly DOES have pretty awesome bass tone. I'll think about this.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
For me, this is an easy Nolly win. You can clearly hear the bass tone when you get the chance to hear it by itself. In the first clip, the action on the bass has been lowered to the point where you get a fairly large amount of fret buzz added to the bass's tone. I am not a fan of low action, steel rounds buzzing through a P pickup with a heavy plectrum attack. That sound defines your tone instead of leaving you open to change it with your playing.

·
I Am The Tweaker
490 Posts
I'm also gonna go with Nolly on this one. I don't know if it's just the mix or what but his tone just sounds "deeper" than the Magus clip.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Magus for me. The darkglass simply falls short especially for that pricerange. And in a studio you can craft it to fit the sound perfectly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts