Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin shot a large black bear on his property last week and gave me some of the meat he harvested from it (tenderloin).

I'm all for trying foods I've never eaten before, but I'm left with a problem... How the hell should I prepare this?

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
Just a few suggestions that came to mind :)

• Mince it up, mix in assorted herbs and spices, turn it into sausages.
  • Marinade it in lemon juice for a day, cover it in a batter mixture and deep fry it to make Chinese style Lemon bear - make a lemon sauce to go with this.
  • Make a jerk marinade with scotch bonnet chillies and make Jerk Bear.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
  • Make a jerk marinade with scotch bonnet chillies and make Jerk Bear.
IS that a Conan O'Brian joke? :lol:

Did some googling... This article seems to be the most helpful so far:
How to Cook a Bear Roast | eHow.com

Anyway, most people seem to have have the best success braising it. It's evidently like pork in that it should be cooked until well done (that picture is definitely NOT well done, and IMO looks more like a beef roast than I'd expect bear to), and trimming the fat off, evidently, is highly recommended for the way it negatively impacts the taste/smell.

I'm really curious how this will come out - I'd love to try it.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.0.13.37.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P014) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I bet it would be pretty good in a stew as well.

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
IS that a Conan O'Brian joke? :lol:
I wouldn't know :lol: I was just thinking of things I'd want to do to bear if I had some :)

If in doubt, jerk it. :yesway:

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyway, most people seem to have have the best success braising it. It's evidently like pork in that it should be cooked until well done (that picture is definitely NOT well done, and IMO looks more like a beef roast than I'd expect bear to), and trimming the fat off, evidently, is highly recommended for the way it negatively impacts the taste/smell.
Given all of the pathogens and parasites that you can pick up from eating the meat of animals that have eaten other animals, especially wild ones, I think it would be very unwise to not cook it until it was well done.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Even Better Suggestion: Its not everyday you have a large animal's carcass in your possesion. Don't waste this rare oppurtunity. Maybe you could do some role playing.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts