Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a few of you know, about a month ago, I Won a John Myung sig model off of eBay. The pics you see on there are accurate enough pics of the bass, except the damage did tend to look worse in person.

Anyway, basically here's what the issues were:
-Original finish stripped away, spray can black applied to back of body, and improvised a sunburst. Wasn't sanded properly. Clearcoat was applied, and also wasn't sanded at all. Shitty burst, as well.

-Original defret was HORRENDOUS. It was smooth enough to play, but it looked fucking AWFUL. and it could have been smoother.

-Thing was dirty as HELL. back of the neck was completely darkened by like 3 shades compared to the neck pocket & headstock.

-Output jack doesn't hold cables very tightly.

On the upside, I Won a 1500$+ Bass for 265$. So here's what I did:

-Refinished it with textured multicolor finish. I originally tried both blue & green, but neither really fit the bass, and the clearcoat was giving me some issues. This looks about 1 million times better, and totally fits the bass' character, imo.

-Refilled the frets, stained wood filler completely black.

-sanded back of the neck, and stained it completely black. Not necessary, but I had a ton of extra stain, and I REALLY liked how it looked on the Stryperverse that donnie did.

-Ordered a Yamaha logo (Its not here yet, unfortunately). -- A Gold tuning fork logo to stick where a trusswould cover would be on a normal bass.

the ALMOST finished product:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
OUTSTANDING!

Nice work! :yesway:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I'll have to dig up some of the awesome progress pics you sent me :lol:

It turned out super good, when are you starting taking orders to spray rustoleum on guitars :metal:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I remember playing one of those (with frets...) and thinking it was a pretty cool bass, especially for the cheap prices they command used.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
WTF you solid finished the flame top?
It was actually a cheap, shoddily done veneer job by the previous owner. The pics don't show it, but he did a good job describing how un-salvageable it was.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
It was actually a cheap, shoddily done veneer job by the previous owner. The pics don't show it, but he did a good job describing how un-salvageable it was.
It wasn't nice at all :lol:, he did a fucking awesome job finishing it.

Now buy my conklin Ken! :D It NEEDS a pink rustoleum finish.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Very nice indeed! I've lusted after a Myung model for a while now, and you've done a really nice job getting it presentable again!

Oh, and welcome to the fretless club as well!:D

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Thats an awesome bass, congrats! Our bassist plays (almost) the same...i think a previous version or soemthing, looks almost identical, but has only 1 pickup.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts