Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh yeah....NGD.
About 3-4 months ago, I grabbed a Schecter Damien Elite 8-string for an upcoming project. About 3 weeks later, the project fizzled. I really have no need for 8-strings at this point, much less with EMGs. EMGs are ok, but I'm just a passive guy nowadays. A friend of mine had an Agile Septor Pro 727 in Tribal Blue w/ the PASSIVE Cepheus pickups & a maple fretboard. Anyway, I worked out a trade deal & used it for a set last Friday. So far, really nice axe & beautiful looking. It's darker in person. More of a dark blue/purple. I'm still trying to get use to the 27" scale, but I'm not complaining.

Anyway, enjoy the stock pics of the currently offered model with active pups. :noway: I'll up some photos.....eventually. :lol:

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
How are you finding the guitar as far as tone is concerned, Shannon? I know that you are adamant that clarity doesn't have to come at the expense of scale length.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IIRC correctly, you were once an EMG endorsed artists, weren't you?

Interesting how tastes change over the years, and also what bits of information stick in a persons head :lol:
Yes, I was. I was actually part of the development of the 707s & 808s.
There's nothing wrong with actives, there's just not for me any longer. They were great for me when I was 10 years younger & all I played was "rip your head" off metal. My playing tastes & gigs have diversified exponentially since then.

Be sure to add the dildo mod
Huh? :scratch:

How are you finding the guitar as far as tone is concerned, Shannon? I know that you are adamant that clarity doesn't have to come at the expense of scale length.
Yes, I'm still adamant that you can have just as good of a Low B in standard scales as you can with baritone scales. It's all in balancing the scale length & the gauges of strings to create your optimum tension that works with YOUR playing style. For me, I've bought & tried baritones numerous times before. Personally, I like standard scales lengths & the Schecter 26.5" is the longest scale I've found that I still feel completely comfortable on in terms of a "go-to" guitar. 27" & above still feels strange for me to make it what i'd call a "go to" axe. But hey, I'm giving it a go for kicks since I already have plenty of "go to" axes.

However, tone is subjective as hell, so to go into that debate in like convincing a chocoholic that vanilla is better. I will say the guitar sounded good, but it wasn't any better than my Ibanez UV777GR (my #1) or my Charvel USA San Dimas, so to me, I don't put much vaidation into the whole "longer is better" scale length debate.

Comfort on your instrument is paramount & some of us aren't built with absurdly long fingers. If you aren't playing well because the scale length is too large, what good is this so-called "better tone" gonna do for you then? ;) Truthfully, I wish fanned frets were the norm, but that'll never be, so I'd rather play well on a shorter scale than suck on a longer scale.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
My Septor 727 (purple + maple) was a fantastic guitar. Nice chunky neck, great low action, med.jumbo frets were the only mild complaint.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And as quickly as it showed up, it will be leaving soon. :lol:
Just not feeling the 27" scale & I gotzta have me a whammy.
So, a S7320 is on its way to replace it. :yesway:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
You gonna sell that thing on here? I'm not interested but a friend of mine may be.

EDIT: Oh yeah, probably not eh? Forgot about the 30-day return policy.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You gonna sell that thing on here? I'm not interested but a friend of mine may be.

EDIT: Oh yeah, probably not eh? Forgot about the 30-day return policy.
I got the Agile on a trade. Then....
I did a trade deal with a dude on ss.org. The Agile for the Ibanez.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fuck that....I knew this one would probably be temporary. I've given 27" scale several shots now & didn't care for it. I figured I'd give it one last go. Nope. :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts