Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
It is not Joey's style, but you gotta admit that he handled it a million times better than you thought he would.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Awful man. The vocals just suck. I like Belladonna era Anthrax, but him trying to sing this is pathetic.

Oh and Benante and the rest of the gang are the bomb. Charlie's always been one of the tightest drummers in metal. This song needs John Bush tho.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Charlie Benante is a badass. I love his drumming. Sadly Joey is way out of his element here.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Charlie is a fuck god as far as metal drumming is concerned. When I was in junior high, I flipped my shit listening to his insane double bass for the first time on "Skeleton In the Closet" & "Horror of it All" off Among The Living. Still gives me chills.

As for Joey on the clip above, it's a necessary evil. It's a "hit" (for them anyway), so they gotta play it. Not his style, but his pulls it off. The only album I really liked with John in the band was "The Greater of Two Evils," where he mainly sang a bunch of Joey songs. :)

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Vocals are pretty rough, but that is (and I'm totally NOT trying to take a side in The Great Antrax Debate) a pretty awesome tune.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Ok then.

It's the king od drum performance it's easy to not notice, because Benante launches into a fill at the very start that as it turns out is the main drum riff, settles into his groove, and keeps it up for the duration of the song. And then, periodically, you notice he's been holding down this 16th note roll for pretty much the entire song. Then you take another sip of beer and stop noticing.

Then you stop, think back, and try to picture the song without the driving drum riff, and you come up with something dangerously close to Pearl Jam. Then you realize the drums are awesome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts