Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've been working a lot on these slap guitar techniques over the past year or so... Tosin has really busted the door down on this sound, i love it. Stuff is a lot of fun to play, too. So far i mostly just use my thumb and some occasional pops from my index finger. I have just started working on incorporating my index and middle fingers in sequence with my thumb, to achieve the Wooten-style "thumb down, thumb up, index, middle" rolls he does. Neat stuff. Anyway, give these a watch and let me know what you think! Thanks!

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
I commented on your last slapping video asking for a breakdown of what you were doing but you ignored me. :squint:

I'll give these a look when I get home, thanks for sharing!

·
getting schwifty
1,285 Posts
looks like you've really got it down solid,
and it sounds pretty clean. :leon:

i love that technique too, but i can't seem to wrap
my head around it. i am envious:squint:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I commented on your last slapping video asking for a breakdown of what you were doing but you ignored me. :squint:

I'll give these a look when I get home, thanks for sharing!
oh noes! Sorry dude, must have slipped by me. I'm usually really good about responding to folks. I'll do that here soon.
Thanks for watching, everyone!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check out this video, i think this explains it best! Combining this technique along with left hand hammer ons produces some crazy sounds:

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
When you do the upstroke with your thumb, do you hit the string with your nail, or with the fleshy side part of your thumb? I tried both for a while, and neither one felt "right".

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its also probably worth noting that i use light strings (9-56ish), so it doesn't take a lot of force for me to whack the string around.

·
Temporary Autonomous Zone
582 Posts
Good on you Cassidy! +Rep.

Tosin popularizing the technique doesnt mean ppl werent doing it better WAY before. Its like watching EVH "invent tapping"...

Anyway...

From Day 1; Tosin's slap style seemed ripped from Matt Garrison to me...he just did it on guitar. I dont think many guitarists take note of a guy like Matt. (*whispered* ...but we should).

*Edit - I forgot to mention; Good job to the OP! You really have spent some time putting the work in, and it shows. Excellent! Are you using AxeFX or...? Cause I also like the sound your getting on the swirled guitar vids.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good on you Cassidy! +Rep.

Tosin popularizing the technique doesnt mean ppl werent doing it better WAY before. Its like watching EVH "invent tapping"...

Anyway...

From Day 1; Tosin's slap style seemed ripped from Matt Garrison to me...he just did it on guitar. I dont think many guitarists take note of a guy like Matt. (*whispered* ...but we should).
Matthew Garrison 4 Finger Technique - Groove Applications - YouTube

*Edit - I forgot to mention; Good job to the OP! You really have spent some time putting the work in, and it shows. Excellent! Are you using AxeFX or...? Cause I also like the sound your getting on the swirled guitar vids.
Thanks dude! And the tone... hahaha, you won't believe. Not an Axe FX, but an ancient Line 6 AX212! It was the second amp they ever made, and they've never topped it, IMO. There are SO many tricks to getting some awesome tones out of these things!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts