Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After fishing for some second hand TS's (trying to replace my Maxon OD808 I stupidly sold) I noticed an awful lot of clones out there. I have no idea what's a good buy though, any help would be awesome as they seem like a great cheap alternative, but I don't want to end up with a total lemon.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

I use a TS7 that Joe modded. They are dirt cheap used, and are not very hard to mod to 808 specs.

Edit: fuck you, Garret. :lol:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Digitech Badmonkey, it's pretty cheap in Europe and very very good sounding (used in front of a Deliverance or a SigX). Also has a 2 band EQ. The only "downside" is that is seems the level doesn't go as high as a regular tube screamer, meaning a full volume tubescreamer for a boost = badmonkey with full volume + 20% gain or something.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I love my Bad Monkey. They're like $45 brand new, and you can find them for around $30 used all day long.

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
Wirelessly posted

I've been happy with my delta lab tube screamer. It only cost me $30 new and it's no slouch

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I've heard some very good things about the Digitech Bad Monkey around the web. I've gotta give one a go next time I get a chance to grab one, especially for the good price. I used to own a Maxon OD808 too at one stage and it was fantastic before I stupidly sold it as well. One of the worst things I ever did as I loved that pedal and didn't particularly need the cash either. I was young(er) and (more)foolish.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I've got a MXR Classic Distortion which is really just the same as the GT-OD they make. Plus on the inside it has a jumper to convert it to the Zakk Wylde OD if you want. Best part I got it for like $40 bucks. Apparently they were a Guitar center dealio so check online for people who are selling them.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

I use a TS7 that Joe modded. They are dirt cheap used, and are not very hard to mod to 808 specs.

Edit: fuck you, Garret. :lol:
LOL, $3k KXK into $30 pedal is like buying the finest cut of steak at a 4 star restaurant and drowning it in heinz.

You know it. :fawk:

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
Dave's is a JoBo, though, so it's really a cork sniffing boutique fancy pants overdrive DISGUISED as a mere TS7. It's like a Transformer, except, well, for the lack of transforming.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Visual Sound V2 Series V2RT808 Route 808 Overdrive Guitar Effects Pedal | Musician's Friend

You can thanks me later. ;)

Seriously though, the Bad Monkey is awesome if you really want a good OD for $45. If you want a great OD $100 is a steal for this pedal. I have two of them and they're just... amazing. I much prefer the Route 808 to any Ibanez or Maxon Tube Screamer I've tried. Plus I think this OD sounds better on a clean channel than any others. But who am I to talk, I like the sound of an SD-1.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Been curious to try the Way Huge Green Rhino myself. Also the BBE Green Screamer.

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
The Way Huge is a better pedal than the OD808 IMO, just for the fact that when i had an OD808 on my board it sucked a lot of highs, although I play fairly low gain so maybe i just noticed it a bit more.

Edit, look in my sig ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts