Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Noodles

Votes: 7 30.4%
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a mesa 4x12 oversized cab, mint. Engl powerball 2 head. I think my sound is to boomy, i play killswitch,bullet for my Valentine ,machinehead ,Metallica, etc stuff. Im looking at a marshall 1960b or A, orange, or vader. So my question is. If you know the bands im talkin about ,and you know there sound, in your option what would be the best cab to spend my hard earned down turned economy, over printed money on lol???

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not a fan of the 1960A. They're OK for the price though..

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Orange cabs > *

Otherwise, avoid angled cabs. I've not spent a lot of time with Mesa cabs (but I hated them all) - what do you mean by 'boomy'? EQing the amp etc. hasn't helped?

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just not tight as i want on the low end and not enough definition

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
what are your settings...?

1) turn the bass down
2) turn the gain down

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bass is down and Gain is on 2 to 3 oclock. I just want more difinition at loud volumes. tight distortion and attack

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Merged the threads. :wub:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
1960A is surprisingly awesome for tight metal tone. I don't own a Powerball though so I can't really comment on specific cab interactions.

The Orange cabs are very nice-sounding, but are a pain to move and are somehow even more laser-beamy in terms of dispersion than normal guitar 4x12s are (and that's saying something!)

I wasn't impressed with the speakers in the Vader cabs, and I've never used an ENGL cab. Mesa OS cabs sound best with upper-midrangey "thinner" amps like older Marshalls if you're looking to thicken up the tone a bit, but they're too much bass for me for pretty much anything else.

·
18,790 Posts
I think the only time I've played a Powerball was through a 1960a, and I dug the sound, personally. And I've heard a couple other guys using that configuration (Matt from Starring Janet Leigh, for example, and his style requires tight sound :lol: ).

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2-3 o'clock, so almost all the way up? If the PII is anything like my Fireball you shouldn't need the gain on more than noon/5.
dude noon is not enough gain for modern metal, for rock yes but for modern metal it doesnt have enough attack

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

AFAIK Toshiro plays the new stuff..

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
dude noon is not enough gain for modern metal, for rock yes but for modern metal it doesnt have enough attack
ehhhhhhhh, If noon isn't enough gain for modern metal on an ENGL there is something else somewhere in the single chain that is causing problems, or something isn't working properly :lol:

Not insulting your tastes, but this is what everyone else is going to say too.

edit: Or you aren't turning it loud enough (although ENGLs usually sound great at really low volumes, one of their greatest strengths IMO), turn it louder :winning:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Also if you are looking for cabs in that price range two options you might also want to consider are

-Mesa Stiletto Cabs
-Bogner Ubercab (which I still haven't played, but from what I hear its really good)

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ehhhhhhhh, If noon isn't enough gain for modern metal on an ENGL there is something else somewhere in the single chain that is causing problems, or something isn't working properly :lol:

Not insulting your tastes, but this is what everyone else is going to say too.

edit: Or you aren't turning it loud enough (although ENGLs usually sound great at really low volumes, one of their greatest strengths IMO), turn it louder :winning:
Its working fine i just like the compression at 2 to 3 oclock more than 12 oclock channel vol is at 10 to 11 and master is at at 11

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
3:00 is pretty high for the gain knob. Your Mesa OS should be perfect for the kind of sound you're going for. Mess with your settings, and try a Tubescreamer if you haven't already.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
put your gain knob to 11 o'clock and try that.

·
Nine EMG Guitars
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So turning down my gain will still give me the drive I want? I just remember that it sounded weak with gain at 11. I'm looking for the bullet for my Valentine guitar sound, very tight crisp high gain

Sent from my ADR6300

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
So turning down my gain will still give me the drive I want? I just remember that it sounded weak with gain at 11. I'm looking for the bullet for my Valentine guitar sound, very tight crisp high gain

Sent from my ADR6300
In live situations and in the practice room, yes, turning down the gain will help your tone immeasurably. Once you get used to it you'll wonder why you never saw the light before; gain too high typically results in mushy, undefined guitar sound that doesn't cut through and sounds gash.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts