Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna have to buy a couple more cables in the near future, and I want to know what the best brand out there is. I'm willing to shell out enough for good high quality professional cables, but I'm not interested in anything well past the point of diminsihing returns or anything corksniffery.

My entire rig is cables with Dimarzio right now, and I'm pretty happy with those. If there is something else out there that isn't a ton more coin, I'll start buying that from now on.

What are you guys using?

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Here we go...

Here's the thing... I'm not impressed with Monster quality or pricing at all; I've had quite a few break on me for no apparent reason, but guess what? They do sound good. I took them back and they gave me a brand new one, no questions asked.

And A/B'ed with a Planet Waves, it's night and day. How many Monster cables do I own? Two. How many Specraflex do I own? Dozens.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The Monster I have works fine and has been replaced twice, but it's already causing intermittent connections. I think they have slightly weird-sized 1/4" ends so I'm getting kind of sick of them not fitting right. The rest of my cables are generics, pretty much, aside from a Planet Waves pedalboard kit.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
...I'm not interested in anything well past the point of diminsihing returns or anything corksniffery.

My entire rig is cables with Dimarzio right now
Snake.

Any opinions on evidence audio cable?
Fucking.

Oil.

Just remember that some cables may sound different than another, but they don't necessarily sound better or transmit your audio more faithfully. Find a high-quality set with Switchcraft, Neutrik or other good connectors and some solid construction techniques WITHOUT marketing bullshit language all over the package and you've found yourself a winner. I'm not really sold on the cable warranties either because in practice it can be a bit difficult to take advantage of them, but that's your call.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha, I might just buy the George Ls kit and start making my own. I could solder them too. I have a hakko 936 :wub:

@Jax, you didn't like Geoge L's? Might I ask why?

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Snake.

Fucking.

Oil.

Just remember that some cables may sound different than another, but they don't necessarily sound better or transmit your audio more faithfully. Find a high-quality set with Switchcraft, Neutrik or other good connectors and some solid construction techniques WITHOUT marketing bullshit language all over the package and you've found yourself a winner. I'm not really sold on the cable warranties either because in practice it can be a bit difficult to take advantage of them, but that's your call.
Here's my call:

Analysis Plus is full of it.

My Monster 20 ft. laying right next to me sounds much better than my Planet Waves 20 ft. laying right next to me. Hands down, out the park. There is a difference.

Being sold on cable warranties:

I've taken numerous Monsters back that broke because of their semi-shitty tip construction, and they handed me a brand new one, in box (or plastic), no questions asked.

What do I use:

Specraflex. I love them. If it breaks, I go buy a new one. Have I ever had a problem with one? No. So have I had to replace one? No.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
But you felt they were only "decent" compared to other cables? Are they worth it?
"Decent" is not a bad thing.

I was first introduced to George L's back in 2004, I think? I remember trying a few and not being underwhelmed. I was somewhat skeptical about the fact that you had to "put your own cable together", but I've lost that skepticism.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had a George Ls kit and I found it brightened things up a lot. A few years back someone posted pictures of the spectrum analyser results of various cables and they produced a bit of a cut in the low midrange.

I have read that the cut is due to the plugs and not the cable, but I don't know how accurate it is.

That said, it doesn't mean they're bad... just that they have a cut in the low midrange. Some people like that cut.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Haha, I might just buy the George Ls kit and start making my own. I could solder them too. I have a hakko 936 :wub:

@Jax, you didn't like Geoge L's? Might I ask why?
They're all I use - for short runs it barely makes any difference, but the low capacitance makes a difference with long cables.

I wouldn't bother soldering them - their ID connectors do just fine, as most well-designed ones do. If you're Dave, you'll be lopping off ends and re-terminating them, though, especially the right angle ones. I have fewer problems with that than him, for some reason. :scratch:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I mostly have rapco cause its whats handy around here, but give the choice i cut my own Canare and use neutrik ends.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They're all I use - for short runs it barely makes any difference, but the low capacitance makes a difference with long cables.

I wouldn't bother soldering them - their ID connectors do just fine, as most well-designed ones do. If you're Dave, you'll be lopping off ends and re-terminating them, though, especially the right angle ones. I have fewer problems with that than him, for some reason. :scratch:
How's the durability? I've heard some people say they are kind of flimsy?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts