Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
The Highway to Hell
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a Boss GT-100 board, and want to find a good combo amp I can run that through. I've been looking at the Fender Blues Junior IV 15w, Orange Crush Pro 60w and the Blackstar HT Club 40w MKII.

Essentially, I am using the input and sticking with the clean channel 90% of the time and just using the patches from the board.

I don't gig (except at church) so I don't need a big loud amp.

Any thoughts on other options? Like to stick around $400-$500. Tube or Solid State.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
If you’re using the board for tones, I’d get a Duncan Powerstage 170/200, and a decent 1x12.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
What happened to the 6505? :lol:

Just get any older non-metal Mesa, like a Nomad. Loud as hell, too.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
The Nomads, F's, and Expresses all had pretty good clean channels, but can be had for cheap because no one liked the non-Recto/Mk lead channels :lol:

You may also like the EL84 driven TA-15. Not sure if it came in a combo format, but that little head is killer with a strat and some volume. The slightly bigger TA-30 does come in a combo, but I haven't seen those south of $1k.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Look for some of those old Randall combos with the orange stripe. Or those ugly brown Yamaha combos as well.

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
Roland JC-22. I might be picking one of these up tomorrow.

The Yamaha G100 series has a reputation of being a sleeper amp in terms of its clean sound and being a great platform for use with pedals. I have a G100-210 III and it's louder than hell and heavier than hell.

·
Read Only
10 Posts

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Peavey Bandit?

Used fender Tonemaster Twin? or a regular twin if you're feeling strong.

·
The Highway to Hell
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What happened to the 6505? :lol:

That's why I got rid of it....again. Too loud for my home needs :lol: Plus we are moving to the East Coast, and lately I have been running my Boss through my Mac, so don't need a huge loud amp just to fart around with in the house :) Doesn't mean I don't thank you for the messages :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Fender, Rivera, Rivera era fender, Vox, Hiwatt, Music Man, etc. If you are talking a good clean tone and good pedal platforms.

Mesa is actually historically weak on clean tone+pedal platform type amps. Cleans are OK, but a lot of people, myself included, don't like them as pedal platforms. They introduced a new amp to appeal to that market, but I haven't tried it yet. The Fillmore was sort of their admission that that was a hole in their lineup. Interested in trying one.

Rolands are good, but Roland and Boss are the same company, so if you are already using a Boss unit, it's going to have the same thing going on already. The parts of the JC amps that are so lauded are actually lifted from Boss pedals and slightly modified. I don't know what Rolands lineup looks like now in terms of what's modeled and what's analog, but anything with modeled JC style effects would be superfluous.

I would also skip v30s on a clean combo. Not a great clean speaker IMO.

The Paul Rivera designed Fenders are the best relatively contemporary ones. I.E. newer than the 80s. You should be able to get them for under $500 used.

Yamaha was mentioned. Yamaha has some good stuff, but they have no real identity of their own. So you have to know what era to look for. They've had a bunch of cool people design amps for them over the years. The Soldano designed ones are fucking great deals. Not really a clean type amp, but they have some other eras that should work.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The Music Mans still go for around that used if you get lucky and are legendary clean pedal platform amps. It's pretty obvious what vibe Mesa was copping on the Fillmore.

A different era of Music Man than the current one though. Different brand. Ernie Ball only bought Music Man in the 80s to form EBMM. Before that it was Leo Fenders second brand, his third being G&L obviously. So they obviously have the Fender type thing going on a bit.

If you want to go new, since some of those older amps might need a little work or servicing, I would look at the downsized Vox A30s. They have like, an A15, and A10. Those also have Alnicos or Greenbacks in them, which are better for cleans than a lot of other stuff.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Vox AC15 or AC20; there are a lot of different categories of Vox AC tube amps, and they sound great clean and mildly driven and can be had pretty reasonably used.

·
Big Brother
587 Posts
I like fenders generally, but my onlyy comment is that I don't think the Blues Junior models are well known for their great clean sound.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Blues Jr. is probably a good call. Obviously, don't expect an effects loop. It's pretty clean (not pristine) and loud for 15w.

Same goes for the larger Hot Rod Series, although I wouldn't look for a pristine clean.

Might be able to find a Deluxe Reverb Reissue in your price range used.

·
The Highway to Hell
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have you played a Boss Katana? Everyone seems to love them.
Another one I returned. That's basically the built in effects amp. I don't need all those if my Boss pedal board has all that already. Hence why I just want a good clean amp for practicing at home :) The Peavy was sick, but the fact that I own an amp I can't play past volume 3 without my wife yelling at me defeated the purpose of owning such a nice amp :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Another one I returned. That's basically the built in effects amp. I don't need all those if my Boss pedal board has all that already.
But you can simply use 0 effects on the amp and run it as a very affordable clean combo :lol:. If you didn't like the way it sounded, that's different!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts