·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want a pickup that

a. best suits the guitar i have
b. best suits the style i want to play with it

my guitar:

RG7321, so its basswood with a 5 pc maple/walnut bolt-on neck. my neck pickup at the moment is the stock pickup, so dont worry about how the bridge pup will blend with the neck, it doesnt matter at this point.

i play through a modern high gain amplifer pushed by a TS808.

My style is technical death metal in vein of Spawn of Possession, Necrophagist and Capharnaum and closest resemblance of the tone im going after would be:

Psycroptic - Scepters of the Ancients
Necrophagist - Epitaph

any help would be awesome

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Evo7 would be my pick it is aggressive and super tight and I loved it in my RG7620 (basswood body maple/rosewood neck)

I have also heard good things about the D-Sonic but it is kinda noisy because of the different poles in each coil.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
What amp?

A classic choice for that guitar, for metal, is the Evo 7. Scooped, clear, and punchy.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Evo7 = scooped? :confused:

Since you're running a TS808, I see no need to step up to the D-Activator level, so I'll +1 the Evo7 recommendation.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Yes, scooped. I like my mids, damnit :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Yes, scooped. I like my mids, damnit :lol:
:lol: Dude I'm still confused. You get an Evo7 because it's not scooped. It's humped. It has more mids than a chorus of AC/DC guitarists. Sorry if I'm being dense, but that's why we're both recommending the Evo7 for the OP.

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
My buddy has a 7421 with an Evo in the bridge and it works well for the tech death stuff. It has really been the only dimarzio I have gotten on with. I also really liked the Dactivator Neck pup in the bridge position of another guitar I had, but it wasn't an Ibanez.

I know it is a bit more expensive, but the cold sweat from BKP is a great one for the tech death stuff. I think you'd get along with any of these great after seeing the kind of stuff you write. :)

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
:lol: Dude I'm still confused. You get an Evo7 because it's not scooped. It's humped. It has more mids than a chorus of AC/DC guitarists. Sorry if I'm being dense, but that's why we're both recommending the Evo7 for the OP.
Well, it sounded scooped to my ears, compared to the Blaze Custom, and the JB7.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
For DiMarzio, yeah, probably the Evo7.

But outside of DiMarzio, I would recommend Blackouts. :cool: Lots of mids there too, very very clear sound, and can sound insanely brutal.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Well, it sounded scooped to my ears, compared to the Blaze Custom, and the JB7.
It's not scooped, as much as the mids just fall in a different place. There's a LOT of upper midrange but not much lower mids - it's sort of a reverse of the Blaze.

Evo7 wouldn't be bad - I'd also give tyhe DActivator a look (very tight, almost to the point of being clinical, which should work for you) or possibly an X2N7.

When you say "modern high gain amp," what do you have in mind? This kind of matters too.

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
When I had my 7620, I decided to throw an Evo7 in the bridge... it lasted maybe 3 days. It was great for cleans, but when it came to metal it had a sort of twang which was totally left field. Chances are it was installed incorrectly, but I always have my guitars worked on by a pro. Shortly thereafter I went EMG.

Note: compared to the knowledge on this board I'm probably half a pubic hair next to acres of vaginal carpeting... but just figured I’d share my experience with you. \m/

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
Evo7 wouldn't be bad - I'd also give tyhe DActivator a look (very tight, almost to the point of being clinical, which should work for you) or possibly an X2N7.
I agree with Drew on the D-Activators. I believe that Muhammad's signature Ibanez has D-Activators in it, so if you want a tone like Necro look no further

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i was told by many people over at the sevenstring forum that the Evo7 is too rich in harmonics for technical death metal.... too many harmonics in a pickup can lead to mud when the gain on the amp is set really high

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
i was told by many people over at the sevenstring forum that the Evo7 is too rich in harmonics for technical death metal.... too many harmonics in a pickup can lead to mud when the gain on the amp is set really high
Um what? I call BS.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I actually thought it lacked them, which is why I preferred the Blaze Custom.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Right, well... if that were true... the solution would be to turn down the gain like you should for a style like teeknikul deeth mehtuhl.

However, hotter pickups with stronger magnets tend to dampen harmonic content, so this is crap. One reason EMGs and Blackouts are so rich in harmonics is their magnets are actually fairly weak and the signals are then amped up actively after the fact. This is also why old school Alnico II magnet pickups are very harmonically rich and "warm".

EDIT: This assumes we're not talking about neodymium magnets, and that we're holding pickup height to be constant.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
I gotta go with a d-activator for your specific instance. normally, about the only dimarzio i can dig is the evo, but the d.a. is , like drew said, to the point of being clinical, which is excellent for tech death stuff.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I'm not sure if I agree with this exactly, but I do know that many of the pickups that handle extremely high gain well have a very "narrow" sonic footprint. The DActivators and EMGs are both very bright and crisp, with a very strong, narrow treble and comparatively tight/small mids and bass. Through a moderately driven amp, it sounds like absolute shit for riffing because it's all click-y attack and has no body. Through a sea of gain, it rules because the gain begins to fill out the rest of the sound and smooths out the sharp attack a bit.

How much that has to do with harmonic content of course is debatable, but it's a large part of the reason I tend to prefer lower output pickups - high output pickups in my experience tend to have more of that narrow focus - they're really hot in one particular area.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts