Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So down the road I definitely want to get an Axe-Fx Ultra, and probably the Fractal Audio pedalboard. I want the flexibility/reliability the Axe-Fx has to offer, I love my mod'd 6505+ and my cab but I'd like to have a simpler setup and MIDI program changes than my 6505+ running the 4 cable method with my Digitech RP1000 with the TS7ovChaos in the pedal loop of the RP1000. :lol:

I also want the Axe-Fx for recording, it'd be nice to use that instead of trying to record my 6505+ with impulses or running VST amp sims. The kicker is, I will obviously be using the Axe-Fx for guitar purposes 95% of the time, but I would also want to use it for recording bass too. As far as playing live, the venues around here I don't entirely trust to just run direct to board and rely on the monitors without my own sound playing (especially for practices we don't have a PA so I need a setup I can play and be heard with too), and since I would possibly wanna play bass live too I'd need a setup that would be equally useful for playing guitar AND bass live at gigs as well as practices, and also recording both instruments to my PC.

The obvious answer most people would say is to get the Atomic Amp active reactor cab. My concern being it's only 50W (given that it is tube watts though and not solid-state) that it wouldn't be loud enough for a guitar or bass rig, and the fact that it only has ONE 12" speaker. It sounds like the perfect solution on paper, it's portable, full range, in theory should work equally well for guitar and bass, I just don't know how well it works in practice. I mean, can it really hang in a band practice situation? When you got a 4x12 Mesa cab impulse or 8x10 Ampeg bass cab impulse loaded how well is a single 12" speaker gonna hold up? :lol:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody? I realize my posts tend to ramble but...nobody has anything to say at all? Are my threads really that boring? :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
The obvious answer most people would say is to get the Atomic Amp active reactor cab. My concern being it's only 50W (given that it is tube watts though and not solid-state) that it wouldn't be loud enough for a guitar or bass rig, and the fact that it only has ONE 12" speaker. It sounds like the perfect solution on paper, it's portable, full range, in theory should work equally well for guitar and bass, I just don't know how well it works in practice. I mean, can it really hang in a band practice situation? When you got a 4x12 Mesa cab impulse or 8x10 Ampeg bass cab impulse loaded how well is a single 12" speaker gonna hold up? :lol:
It's loud as fuck, and you can always get two so you can be REALLY loud as fuck. I would get passives myself and get a solid state or tube power amp to drive one or two Reactors, but that's all pretty much a lifestyle decision. I have one passive Reactor with a Carvin power amp and it's capable of getting me through a rehearsal with a full band.

Also, Shannon has/had a pair of Reactors, and I believe he said it was just as loud and authoritative as an 8x10 bass rig. Punchy and rumbling.

Keep in mind it's not a 12" guitar speaker. Ask yourself - can you pipe a recorded guitar through a 12" PA speaker (don't forget there's a horn, too) with enough juice to sit in the mix with a drummer etc? It all depends on your situation but I think if you need it to be an authoritative backline in a large room you'll want two in a mini-stack and it will be as destructive as any 4x12.

You also have the flexibility to just take one with you.

I played my first gig a couple of nights ago with the Axe-Fx. The Reactor was my monitor - just some stage volume for myself and the other guitarists - and I was blended to everybody's taste through the monitors and sent through the FOH. I received big kudos from the soundguy and some friends in the audience on my tone.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
How low will you be tuning your bass? Will you have PA support, or will you have to carry the stage and the audience yourself?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How low will you be tuning your bass? Will you have PA support, or will you have to carry the stage and the audience yourself?
I wouldn't tune the bass lower than B or A. All the venues around here have PA support so I wouldn't have to carry the stage/audience myself.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
B or A is pretty freaking low when it comes to sound reproduction. It might be worth getting a high-powered full-range monitor and SS poweramp.

The Crown Drivecore XLS series is great value for money and very lightweight: $300 for a 1000W @ 4 ohms bridgeable stereo power amp with crossover functionality.

As for speakers, I'm not as up on PA speakers, but my new bass cab is essentially a specialized PA speaker and is plenty to fill a stage. Granted, as a small-builder custom job, it isn't cheap... but you can snag any of a million brands of PA gear. You can even get and power a separate sub with the Crown's crossover functionality.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
^ Won't you have to add a subwoofer if you're concerned with the fundamental octave anyway?
Nah, subs are only really useful when given to the FOH engineers. Actually putting one onstage can fuck with the sound balance and result in major "mud."

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Check. :yesway:

Therefore any FRFR system that has flat-ish response down to 50-60 Hz and enough power handling will suffice... so I'd say just about anything should cut it. I'd PM Shannon and ask his opinion about the Reactors as bass cabs, or sneak around in the Fractal Forums for an answer.

I don't think the Axe-Fx, nor the Atomic products, were really designed with live bass performance in mind as equal priority with electric guitar performance. When you get the Fractal box, try taking it to the local pro audio shop and trying out a few systems to see what you think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts