Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
There is no best. The idea of a best of anything guitar related is obscure at best. Too many variables and Freudian reasons to call anything best.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I hear its mostly about preference, but my question is completely fucking subjective
I fixed the last bit there. It is 100% subjective. Generally harder woods are better structurally as they hold up to refrets (and just hold on to frets) better, but tonally, whatever goes man. 100% preference.

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
I find that maple is really good for fretboards, both because its tough and it has great definition. But I hated it for years just because of the color.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
It's totally subjective, however maple is hands down the best. :agreed:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I've also grown a recent boner for maple boards. I do feel it gives an even more edgy sound. But I still like rosewood and ebony play wise as long as they don't have that awful red/orange-ish look to them.
Will you specify maple on the ESP Guitars Official Ola Englund Signature Guitar With Passives, Handle, And Lion Claw? Beacuase then it would be the ESP Guitars Official Ola Englund Signature Guitar With Passives, Handle, Maple Fretboard And Lion Claw.

·
Guitar noob
2,202 Posts
Will you specify maple on the ESP Guitars Official Ola Englund Signature Guitar With Passives, Handle, And Lion Claw? Beacuase then it would be the ESP Guitars Official Ola Englund Signature Guitar With Passives, Handle, Maple Fretboard And Lion Claw.
The Ola signature PRS will have a ebony, maple, rosewood striped fretboard. THe frets are passive and the pickups are SuperJumbo Evertune. signature Ola handles volume and tone knob 7-string 8-string djent progressive metal

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've also grown a recent boner for maple boards. I do feel it gives an even more edgy sound. But I still like rosewood and ebony play wise as long as they don't have that awful red/orange-ish look to them.

I hate that:
Yeah that's exactly what my problem is, I hate he colour of rosewood I'd much rather ebony or maple. Hence being why I started this thread to find out if it makes a difference because then there would be two negatives to rosewood

I fixed the last bit there. It is 100% subjective. Generally harder woods are better structurally as they hold up to refrets (and just hold on to frets) better, but tonally, whatever goes man. 100% preference.
Okay thanks lool

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Yeah that's exactly what my problem is, I hate he colour of rosewood I'd much rather ebony or maple. Hence being why I started this thread to find out if it makes a difference because then there would be two negatives to rosewood
No, it's subjective. Some people like rosewood for it's darker, warmer tone and its rich brown color. Other, better, people prefer maple for the upper midrange snap it imparts to the tone and the glorious look.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
The Ola signature PRS will have a ebony, maple, rosewood striped fretboard. THe frets are passive and the pickups are SuperJumbo Evertune. signature Ola handles volume and tone knob 7-string 8-string djent progressive metal
will it have a handle though :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, it's subjective. Some people like rosewood for it's darker, warmer tone and its rich brown color. Other, better, people prefer maple for the upper midrange snap it imparts to the tone and the glorious look.
Okay my question was actually meant to be "do they each have there own individual sound" I didn't mean best.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

It's subtle. I would be more worried about what feels best to you.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
^Yep. There are so many factors at play, i never even worry about sounds of fretboard wood. I just go with what I like asthetically. for the most part.

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Ebony "feels" nicer under my fingers but then again I hulk fist the guitar so I probably feel it a little more than others. However, feel/tonal differences are minimal and it really comes down to personal preference on aesthetics. Many other pieces of a guitar have a much larger impact on tone than the fretboard.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Yes! :lol:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts