Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Best iPad Mini case/protection

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Soopahmahn 
#1 ·
Go.

#4 ·
You know, while watching a super dorky looking businessman on the T a couple weeks ago reading on his Otterbox-protected iPhone, I had a realization.

The iPhone case, especially the really heavy duty ones, is our generation's version of a pocket protector. Does it help you not scratch up your iPhone? Absolutely. Did pocket protectors help you not get ink all over your shirts? Sure they did. But, at what cost? I liked myself less for being the sort of guy who was so worried about his iPhone that he wrapped the thing up in this big rubber monstrosity because he was scared he'd scratch it.

I went home and immediately took mine, which I never really liked but bought it when I replaced my newly-shattered 3-year-old iPhone 4, with a 5s, off. I haven't regretted it since. It's slimmer, lighter, more comfortable in my hand, better looking, and the buttons all work a lot better. I still have a thin film over the screen, which should protect it somewhat from shattering, and the back is metal, which both is pretty damned tough (tougher than the case around it), and also will wear in nicely as it scratches up (unlike the case).

I was also reminded of this:

Aged to Perfection | Blog | design mind

I think wear should be embraced. :shrug:

#5 ·
I had this realization with my Razr M about a year ago. I had an OtterBox on it and it was bulky as hell and I hated carrying it, then I ditched the case and looked at how often I actually dropped it (which is maybe once a week) and said who gives a shit.

The biggest protection the cases offer is more so that the screen doesn't shatter because you've got a lip around it. I think that's what people are after more than scratch protection; protip to avoid scratches, don't put your keys in the same pocket.

#8 ·
Yeah I can't stand bulky cases either. I usually try to find the thinnest, most unobtrusive case that I can for my phones. I don't even really mind my stuff getting scratched up (ahem, I mean...gaining character) as long as it's not the screen, but I do like to have some amount of shock absorption and a lip over the screen for when I do occasionally drop it.

I have one of these on my iPad mini, and then one of those magnetic covers everybody uses. No real complaints, except the scratches that back plate picks up look even worse than if I had just let the iPad itself get scratched up. :rofl:

I'd Tell You What Brand of Pocket Protector, But You've Probably Never Heard of It.

#7 ·
I only have a thin case on my iPhone 4, because, well… glass front and back. And i drop it probably once every couple of weeks, usually when getting out of the car. I love my phones to be thin and light, and easily (and inconspicuously) pocketable. Putting a bulky, heavy case on it defeats all three of those.

I do have a somewhat bulky case/cover/stand on my iPad, but that's not as critical to me as having a thin and light phone in my pocket.

#9 ·
I only have a thin case on my iPhone 4, because, well… glass front and back. And i drop it probably once every couple of weeks, usually when getting out of the car. I love my phones to be thin and light, and easily (and inconspicuously) pocketable. Putting a bulky, heavy case on it defeats all three of those.

I do have a somewhat bulky case/cover/stand on my iPad, but that's not as critical to me as having a thin and light phone in my pocket.
This is pretty much me as well. I couldn't stand the whole screen protector/big box thing on my first iPhone, so now I just have a really basic case that slips on the back, and fits comfortably in my pocket.

With the iPad, though, I've got an Otterbox and I don't think I'd use anything else. I see too many of these getting cracked screens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.