Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard of the TRacks and Ozone suites, but haven't used them myself. I've used the Waves mastering pack before and wasn't impressed.

Recently, I've been using some of the Nomad Factory effects but found their limiter to be really subpar.

Then I stumbled onto the Voxengo Elephant limiter. By far this has been the simplest to use and immediately brings my mixes up to professional quality. You can make your mix loud as hell with this thing and not lose clarity or sound squashed.

www.voxengo.com

I'm just using the demo right now, but I have to say I'm impressed and am probably going to buy the full retail version. All the online places I've searched seem to be in agreeance that the Elephant is fantastic.

Before I do though, does anyone here recommend anything else? I co-produced the mastering on my old band's last CD, and now understanding the process better I think I'm ready to make the jump to mastering my next project.

I haven't used the TRacks or Ozone suites, but if anyone here has please give a recommendation. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also their GlissEQ sounds like a fantastic concept; being able to see the spectral analyzer overlayed with a parametric EQ.

Why wasn't this invented years ago? I've used spectral analyzers before, but being able to see them and have an adjustable EQ and be able to see everything you're doing is just great. It would be so much easier getting instruments to play nice together in a mix with something like this. So I'm thinking of getting this too if there's not a better suite out there.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
i've been using the waves L3 and sometimes the API 2500. i like both of those. the L3 more so. I think the api 2500 is a compressor more than a brickwall limiter.

·
18,790 Posts
I really like the Massey L2007 limiter, and it's free.

I've used the T-Racks mastering suite before, and it's decent, the EQ is nice, as is the compressor, but I ended up using the Massey limiter after it instead of the T-Racks limiter, because it's much cleaner and more open sounding.

·
Plastic bag in the sea
280 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
also their GlissEQ sounds like a fantastic concept; being able to see the spectral analyzer overlayed with a parametric EQ.

Why wasn't this invented years ago? I've used spectral analyzers before, but being able to see them and have an adjustable EQ and be able to see everything you're doing is just great. It would be so much easier getting instruments to play nice together in a mix with something like this. So I'm thinking of getting this too if there's not a better suite out there.
iZotope Ozone has a similar layout. It's also editable, so you can make it as complex or as simple as you want.

I've used it in the past and have had very good results. I'm also digging their latest plugin, Alloy.

Just trust your ears and get whatever is easiest for you to work with.

·
Knives!
427 Posts
Just use a compressor. Waves SSL comp <--- Amazing. That's what I use. All the SSL and API stuff is amazing imo.

·
Knives!
427 Posts
They aren't really. Limiter just has infinite ratio. I tend to use it with a ratio of 8:1 and adjust the make-up and over settings, it makes my mixes sound a lot more transparents than ozone or other limiters do. I don't like using limiters because adjusting the threshold and not having acccess to some of the other parameters gives me less flexiblity on the final master.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts