Metal Guitarist Forums banner

What is your favorite Mesa/Boogie amplifier?

• 2 Channel Dual/Triple Rectifier

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • 3 Channel Dual/Triple Rectifier

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Roadster / Road King II

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Rectifer Pre / Mesa 2:100 Rack System

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Triaxis / 2:90 Rack System

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Mark IV / Mark V

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Stiletto

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Dual Caliber / .50 Caliber series / Nomad

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Electra Dyne / Lonestar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (don't include the Mark IIc+, we all know it was legendary) (noodles)

Votes: 3 7.7%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just kinda want to get an idea for what you guys like. Poll limit is 10, so I condensed a little bit. I know alot of you guys like the newer triples to the older duals, so say that in your response here if that's how you vote.

For me, I'm a big fan of both the recto amps and the mark amps, and I'm big on versatility and having a stereo rig, so I'd say either the Triaxis/2:90 or the Rectifier Recording preamp / 2:100, or both preamps with either power amp and a switching system like the GCX. That would be 100% ideal for me, best of both worlds.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I'm really loving the Stiletto Ace. There's a green one at a local store that I play like every time I'm in there.

Of the options in the polls, next up would probably be the Mark IV, although the Lone Stars are fantastic amps in their own applications.

I wouldn't say no to a Roadster either, but right now Stiletto > Roadster > Lone Star in my book.

I still really really want to play an F-30 though, as I have a feeling I'd love it.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I picked the Stiletto, mainly because that is what I am using right now. I know that is a bit of a cop out, but that is the short answer.

The longer answer is I play a Stiletto because it is the best amp for me in the context of the band I play in. I loved my Roadster, but I felt that it just wasn't holding up next to a Triple. The fundamental sound was too similar, so the extra headroom just made the Triple far more forward in the mix. The Stiletto allows me to carve out my own part of the frequency spectrum, and fits in well with Triple. It is amazing how playing together gives us one huge, complex sound, yet when we play harmonies, you can really hear that it is two guitars; before, it sounded closer to one guitar through an Eventide. It also doesn't hurt that the Stiletto is giving me the best lead sound I think I have ever had.

If I was in a single guitar metal band, I would have kept the Roadster. It is stupidly versatile, and I absolutely love that massive low-mid Recto rhythm attack. Mike flirted with buying a Stiletto for a while, so I like to joke that I like the Roadster less than Mike likes his Triple. :lol:

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Roadking for me. I had a triple that sounded identical to Mike's, that I traded for the Roadking. When we recorded the last thing I did with Division, the RK sounds so close to the triple that Mike didn't even bother bringing his to the studio. Add to that the RK has great clean and mid-gain sounds, and it's the ultimate recto IMO.

I haven't played a stiletto series II yet, and while I am sure I'd really like it, I highly doubt it will unseat the Roadking in my rankings.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I haven't personally played enough mesa's to really give an educated answer, but for now I will say the roadster. I haven't voted yet though.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
i voted mark. I had to go with the V. You can get better tones out of the 4 and other amps for sure, but the tones are still super great (not best =/= bad), and the versatility does it. I lucked out and found the channels super settable in a useable fashion for me, without any mode moving desired.

it was close, ALMOST voted roadster

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
There are a lot I haven't played yet, but I've played enough to know that Mesa is definitely my brand :wub:

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I don't have much experience so I won't pollute the polls, but I will say that the Mark IV is pretty much my favorite lead tone I've ever heard, ever. Drew's old Rectoverb probably had some of the best cleans I've ever heard.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Mark series do it for me. They can do a good amount of tones and the IV fixed the issues I've found with my III (individual EQs and whatnot).

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
The problem with the poll is the Mark IV > Mark V, and DC/Caliber != Nomads. I'd take the DC series or the Mark IV. Roadster and Stiletto (Series II or Ace) are fantastic too, as are the ROV's.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I went for the Roadster, as its the best amp for what I do at the moment, based on the kinds of bands Im playing in. I prefer its tone to the standard rectifiers, but also went for it due to the flexibility, alhtough a lot of its features are now on the 2010 dual/trip recs. I still think its the best option between the basic dual recs and the overly complicated Road Kings.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I like the roadster over the 2010 recs because there's still a few things i have over them:

tweed mode, brit mode, and 4 channels. :)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts